Follow Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saturation test of a 1500/5 multi-ratio CT

Jump to latest post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Saturation test of a 1500/5 multi-ratio CT

During a saturation test of a 1500/5 multi-ratio CT, 400 volts is applied to the X1 to X4 tap. The X1 to X4 tap is the 1200/5 ratio. What is the expected voltage across the X1 to X5 tap?

Correct answer is 0 Volts.

Can we have clarification on what the question is suggesting? Are you applying 440 V directly on the taps? Aren't the X4 and X5 taps the same point, electrically, and would therefore have the same potential voltage?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Tseppish View Post
    During a saturation test of a 1500/5 multi-ratio CT, 400 volts is applied to the X1 to X4 tap. The X1 to X4 tap is the 1200/5 ratio. What is the expected voltage across the X1 to X5 tap?

Can we have clarification on what the question is suggesting? Are you applying 440 V directly on the taps? Aren't the X4 and X5 taps the same point, electrically, and would therefore have the same potential voltage?
    The 0V is the correct answer.
    The CT is not like an "autotransformer". The circuit is closing thru x1-x4. There is no current flowing on X5. So zero current = zero voltage.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by nscdrgs View Post
    The CT is not like an "autotransformer". The circuit is closing thru x1-x4. There is no current flowing on X5. So zero current = zero voltage.
    Agreed. This question has kind of tricky wording.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    During saturation test, Multi-tap CT is an autotransformer

Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    Agreed. This question has kind of tricky wording.
    The voltage across X1-X5 in the condition described will be 500V. 1500/1200 X 400 = 500

9. Join Date
    Apr 2017
    CT Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Tseppish View Post

Attached Files Attached Files

11. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nscdrgs View Post
    I don't follow? If you have voltage applied across terminals 1 and 4 of an autotransformer winding, even if there is no current flowing at terminal 5 you would still measure a boosted voltage.

What is different about a CT winding?

13. Join Date
    May 2017
    I actually tried this because it didn't make sense to me:

200/400/600:5 CT.

I applied 5VAC to X1 and X2 and got 15VAC between X1 and X4, just like you would expect on any multitap winding.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it appears that test answer is incorrect.

15. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    500V is the answer

GPerske and BigJohn are correct.
    The entire length of the coil is one continuous wire. Therefore regardless of where you stab into the taps with your test voltage, voltage will exist on the entire coil and will be boosted beyond the test points, all the way to each end of the coil.
    1500/1200x400=500.

17. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Greetings

I'm helping a friend study for an introduction to motor controls class. They have been really confused about calculating multi-tap on a CT. If a test voltage is applied X1 and X2 what would be the test on the subsequent x4 and x5 taps? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

19. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bertywho105 View Post
    I'm helping a friend study for an introduction to motor controls class. They have been really confused about calculating multi-tap on a CT. If a test voltage is applied X1 and X2 what would be the test on the subsequent x4 and x5 taps? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    You need the ANSI "C" class number (C800, C400, etc) to determine. You can google ANSI C400 and get a graph showing the kneepoint voltages for all tap combinations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe

Share this thread