Follow Us

Testing 3 phase fan motors

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Testing 3 phase fan motors

I'm unsure how to check if this particular motor is good/bad. I've tried searching online on how to test motors such as this but nothing I can find relates to what we have. I believe this is a delta config motor but unsure. I've provided the schematic and picture of the device if any has experience with this please let me know!

I want to be able to check the winding resistances. Thanks guys!
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. RabbleRabble is offline Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsailor View Post
    I'm unsure how to check if this particular motor is good/bad. I've tried searching online on how to test motors such as this but nothing I can find relates to what we have. I believe this is a delta config motor but unsure. I've provided the schematic and picture of the device if any has experience with this please let me know!

I dont know this for a fact but. It looks like a motor with an integrated speed controller. A pot 1k to 10k and a 10v DC power supply may be needed. If that works dont forget not to exceed 2A when taking the readings.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbleRabble View Post
    I dont know this for a fact but. It looks like a motor with an integrated speed controller. A pot 1k to 10k and a 10v DC power supply may be needed. If that works dont forget not to exceed 2A when taking the readings.
    Thanks.

I just learned this device comes with a controller that connects to the terminals and provides a diagnosis. I wanted to check if there was a way to get a winding resistance from the motor itself.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber

To check winding resistance, you would disconnect the motor from the controller and measure directly across the motor windings. All you are doing is applying a DC current across the winding and measuring the voltage drop at each end. Use the max current the motor can handle, up to 10A. The more current, the more accurate reading.

9. RabbleRabble is offline Member Pro Subscriber
    Thanks.

I just learned this device comes with a controller that connects to the terminals and provides a diagnosis. I wanted to check if there was a way to get a winding resistance from the motor itself.
    Were you able to take the resistance readings you needed? I wondered if it was a brusless DC motor. I cant real everything in the pick you posted.

Subscribe

Share this thread