Follow Us

primary injection on breakers

1. Join Date
    Apr 2022
    primary injection on breakers

I still do not have a 100 % down on a great structure on how to remember what exactly to look for or what to test on primary injection (including name plates, follow test, short cuts, etc) can anyone help me on how they may think it's a great way?

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Kito11 View Post
    I still do not have a 100 % down on a great structure on how to remember what exactly to look for or what to test on primary injection (including name plates, follow test, short cuts, etc) can anyone help me on how they may think it's a great way?
    Each company is different as how they test and each technician is slightly different. I would recommend reading NEMA AB4 for procedures:
    https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/pub...3170921517.pdf

Name plates are typically specific to the test form you are completing.

As for what to test on each breaker, if it is a molded case ckt bkr then it is LI (but not always, I have a breaker that had no thermal protection and is a fancy paper weight to remind me). Otherwise look for which functions of LSIG (Long, Short, Inst, GF) the breaker has. If it has GF protection then you have 3 options, either use a secondary unit to defeat, use secondary contacts to defeat, or test in one phase and out another phase while jumpering between those phases.

For each test I would read NEMA AB4

5. Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Quote Originally Posted by Kito11 View Post
    If your going to be testing a wide variety of breakers I would recommend creating an excel document of the trip curves as you go. Your company will usually have a set percentage of how much to test each breaker at, we use 300% for long time for example, so once you look up a curve and find the time band at that percentage put it in the excel sheet. If I have time I put in the time band for each time delay as well. This will save you from finding trip curves every time you test and can be used when no internet is available. Voltage and Pin numbers for defeating ground fault or charging motors is also great to put here and should save you some time. Short cuts are really going to be up to what your company finds acceptable and what equipment you have. I've seen guys test at lower settings than operational use because the test set couldn't get high enough. As far as I know this still tests everything involved (CTs, rating plug, trip unit, etc.) but I could see some people not liking it. Be sure you are paying attention to I2T being on/off or in/out as well because this will change your time curves.

Subscribe

Share this thread