×
Follow Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Am I missing something here? Is the right answer here? If so can someone explain?

 Jump to latest post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    #1
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    17
    Reputation

    Am I missing something here? Is the right answer here? If so can someone explain?

    A 4-20mA single CT has a max range of 150 amp what is the amps at 14mA?


    140A

    105A

    150A

    90A

  2. #2
  3. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    55
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by cnowak View Post
    A 4-20mA single CT has a max range of 150 amp what is the amps at 14mA?


    140A

    105A

    150A

    90A
    I'm seeing 105A.

  4. #3
  5. Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    17
    Reputation

    Can you please explain how you got that?

    Quote Originally Posted by rofo42 View Post
    I'm seeing 105A.
    Can you please explain how you got that?

  6. #4
  7. Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    8
    Reputation
    I think this is what they're looking for.

    20mA is represented by 150A so 14mA/20mA * 150 = 105A...

    This would mean 4mA would be equivalent to 30A and nothing under that value would pick up. I'm not positive if this is correct, but it seams to line up. If 4mA is equivalent to 0A then I'm not sure, because that answer doesn't seem to be there or I was doing that incorrectly.

  8. #5
  9. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    55
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by cnowak View Post
    Can you please explain how you got that?
    I found it the unconventional way I'm sure and might not be correct.

    150 / .020 = 7500

    .014 * 7500 = 105

    Like the poster above noted, 4mA would be 30A.

  10. #6
  11. Kalbi_Rob's Avatar
    Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Posts
    256
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm5116 View Post
    I think this is what they're looking for.

    20mA is represented by 150A so 14mA/20mA * 150 = 105A...

    This would mean 4mA would be equivalent to 30A and nothing under that value would pick up. I'm not positive if this is correct, but it seams to line up. If 4mA is equivalent to 0A then I'm not sure, because that answer doesn't seem to be there or I was doing that incorrectly.
    I think ya'll have a slight conceptual misunderstanding of how transducers work. Transducer typically output range of 4mA to 20mA. That means 4mA equals the low range minimum, and 20mA is high range maximum. For a 0-150A CT, 4mA is equal to 0A and 20mA is equal to 150A.

    So, I've always just made my range 0mA to 16mA, with my reading minus 4.

    So, at 14mA, my calculation would be (10mA*150A)/16mA = 93.75, so my guess would be the answer of 90A due the possibility of inaccurate.

    Not sure if this question is the best example to work off of, did you get this from the question bank? Might be one to bring up to the administrators.

    To check my work I use calculators similar to this one:

    https://www.sensorsone.com/4-20ma-to...&olo=0&ohi=150

  12. #7
  13. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    55
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    I think ya'll have a slight conceptual misunderstanding of how transducers work. Transducer typically output range of 4mA to 20mA. That means 4mA equals the low range minimum, and 20mA is high range maximum. For a 0-150A CT, 4mA is equal to 0A and 20mA is equal to 150A.

    So, I've always just made my range 0mA to 16mA, with my reading minus 4.

    So, at 14mA, my calculation would be (10mA*150A)/16mA = 93.75, so my guess would be the answer of 90A due the possibility of inaccurate.

    Not sure if this question is the best example to work off of, did you get this from the question bank? Might be one to bring up to the administrators.

    To check my work I use calculators similar to this one:

    https://www.sensorsone.com/4-20ma-to...&olo=0&ohi=150
    Interesting. Are transducers and CTs commonly assumed to be the same? It didn't feel like I was doing it correctly 🙃Thanks.

    Edit: the mA output should have made it obvious.

  14. #8
  15. Kalbi_Rob's Avatar
    Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Posts
    256
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by rofo42 View Post
    Interesting. Are transducers and CTs commonly assumed to be the same? It didn't feel like I was doing it correctly 🙃Thanks.

    Edit: the mA output should have made it obvious.
    Transducers are made for various applications, such as: voltage, current, power, pf, etc.

    The outputs can be different also, typically you will find 4mA - 20mA or mV. This output is typically used on older systems using analog meters, etc. It is very common in PLC applications.

    So, the application above, the CT converts your system current down to 0-5A signal (extra calculation that wasn't needed), which is fed to the transducer and converted to a 4mA to 20mA signal. Transducers must also be adjusted using the zero (null setting x ->) and span (range setting |<- x ->|) screws.

    WARNING: I haven't touched a transducer in years and going of my hazy memory.

  16. #9
  17. Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    8
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    I think ya'll have a slight conceptual misunderstanding of how transducers work. Transducer typically output range of 4mA to 20mA. That means 4mA equals the low range minimum, and 20mA is high range maximum. For a 0-150A CT, 4mA is equal to 0A and 20mA is equal to 150A.

    So, I've always just made my range 0mA to 16mA, with my reading minus 4.

    So, at 14mA, my calculation would be (10mA*150A)/16mA = 93.75, so my guess would be the answer of 90A due the possibility of inaccurate.

    Not sure if this question is the best example to work off of, did you get this from the question bank? Might be one to bring up to the administrators.

    To check my work I use calculators similar to this one:

    https://www.sensorsone.com/4-20ma-to...&olo=0&ohi=150
    That was my original answer as well. Since that wasn't an answer option I assumed it wasn't what they were looking for. I'd be curious to see if anyone knows what they actually intended with this question.

  18. #10
  19. Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington, United State
    Posts
    44
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by cnowak View Post
    A 4-20mA single CT has a max range of 150 amp what is the amps at 14mA?


    140A

    105A

    150A

    90A
    20/150=14/x
    x=105amp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe

Login or register to leave a reply!


Share this thread

Related Topics

  1. Ground fault current on neutral resistor
    By MrBolt in forum NETA Level 2 Exam
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 06:54 PM
  2. Can someone explain meter accuracy?
    By RGarcia in forum NETA Level 3 Exam
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 2, 2021, 08:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Follow us


Explore TestGuy


NETA Certification Training


NICET Electrical Power Testing


Help and Support