×
Follow Us
Results 1 to 5 of 5

How to determine the magnitude of current?

 Jump to latest post
    #1
  1. papiLG is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    2
    Reputation

    How to determine the magnitude of current?

    Does any one know how to solve this problem?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magnitude of current  qt.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	529
    What is the magnitude of current along the center vertical wire?
    *0.75A

  2. #2
  3. anonymous is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    15
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by papiLG View Post
    Does any one know how to solve this problem?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magnitude of current  qt.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	529
    What is the magnitude of current along the center vertical wire?
    *0.75A
    The real answer is obviously not correct: zero amps will flow through the center wire and all the other wires, because this is an open circuit.

    But the question gives you some current values, so we have to assume there is a complete circuit (not pictured). So, imagine a wire going from point A to a resistor RA, with the other side of RA to the center wire. Then imagine a wire going from point B to a resistor RB, with the other side of RB to the center wire. Now you can use Ohm's law with the given values to work out the rest of the drawing.

    But you don't really have to. We have a DC circuit, there are two currents flowing into each other at a junction, so the currents will add together and flow out of that junction. 1/4 A + 1/2 A = 3/4 A = 0.75 A. Another way of looking at this is that there are two batteries connected in parallel (negative joined with negative). Like any time you connect batteries in parallel, the current sourced from one will add up with the current sourced from the other. Everything else is extra information.

    For the sake of completeness:

    IB = 1/4A, EB = 8V, and the given resistor on B is 4Ω. The unknown resistor RB is:
    RB + 4Ω = 8V / 0.25A
    RB = 32 - 4 = 28 Ω

    Following the same process on the A side, we get
    IA = 1/2A, EA = 2V, and the given resistor on A is 6Ω. The unknown resistor RA is:
    RA + 6Ω = 2V / 0.5A
    RA = 4 - 6 = -2 Ω

    So check out your local electronics store and see if they have a negative two ohm resistor for sale. Obviously that can't be right. But look at that drawing again for the trick. 2V is not actually on the voltage source, it's in between the two voltage sources, which are connected backwards (against each other, or subtractively). That means EA is actually either 6V or 10V.

    IA = 1/2A, EA = 6V, the given resistor is 6Ω. The unknown resistor RA is:
    RA + 6Ω = 6V / 0.5A
    RA = 12 - 6 = 6Ω

    You can use the same process with EA = 10V and get RA = 14Ω. Either way, the real problem was figuring out that it's a trick question.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210922-143355.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210922-143446.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	531

  4. #3
  5. RabbleRabble is offline Member Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    28
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    The real answer is obviously not correct: zero amps will flow through the center wire and all the other wires, because this is an open circuit.

    But the question gives you some current values, so we have to assume there is a complete circuit (not pictured). So, imagine a wire going from point A to a resistor RA, with the other side of RA to the center wire. Then imagine a wire going from point B to a resistor RB, with the other side of RB to the center wire. Now you can use Ohm's law with the given values to work out the rest of the drawing.

    But you don't really have to. We have a DC circuit, there are two currents flowing into each other at a junction, so the currents will add together and flow out of that junction. 1/4 A + 1/2 A = 3/4 A = 0.75 A. Another way of looking at this is that there are two batteries connected in parallel (negative joined with negative). Like any time you connect batteries in parallel, the current sourced from one will add up with the current sourced from the other. Everything else is extra information.

    For the sake of completeness:

    IB = 1/4A, EB = 8V, and the given resistor on B is 4Ω. The unknown resistor RB is:
    RB + 4Ω = 8V / 0.25A
    RB = 32 - 4 = 28 Ω

    Following the same process on the A side, we get
    IA = 1/2A, EA = 2V, and the given resistor on A is 6Ω. The unknown resistor RA is:
    RA + 6Ω = 2V / 0.5A
    RA = 4 - 6 = -2 Ω

    So check out your local electronics store and see if they have a negative two ohm resistor for sale. Obviously that can't be right. But look at that drawing again for the trick. 2V is not actually on the voltage source, it's in between the two voltage sources, which are connected backwards (against each other, or subtractively). That means EA is actually either 6V or 10V.

    IA = 1/2A, EA = 6V, the given resistor is 6Ω. The unknown resistor RA is:
    RA + 6Ω = 6V / 0.5A
    RA = 12 - 6 = 6Ω

    You can use the same process with EA = 10V and get RA = 14Ω. Either way, the real problem was figuring out that it's a trick question.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210922-143355.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210922-143446.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	531
    Thats a really cool circuit. How did you make that? The question seems like really roundabout way to express Kirchhoff's Current Law.

  6. #4
  7. anonymous is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    15
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbleRabble View Post
    Thats a really cool circuit. How did you make that? The question seems like really roundabout way to express Kirchhoff's Current Law.
    Look up EveryCircuit on your phone's app store.

  8. #5
  9. Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington, United State
    Posts
    44
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by papiLG View Post
    Does any one know how to solve this problem?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magnitude of current  qt.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	529
    What is the magnitude of current along the center vertical wire?
    *0.75A
    I=0.5+0.25
    =0.75A

Subscribe

Login or register to leave a reply!


Share this thread

Related Topics

  1. Determine the RMS amplitude of the squarewave signal.
    By bob152637485 in forum Electrical Testing Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 9, 2021, 01:45 PM
  2. What are the magnitude and direction?
    By csabin in forum NETA Level 3 Exam
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 14, 2021, 05:17 PM
  3. Determine the RMS amplitude of this sinusoidal waveform
    By Ronwilson1801 in forum NETA Level 2 Exam
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 26, 2020, 04:14 PM
  4. Determine total reactive resistance of this circuit
    By whiskers in forum NETA Level 3 Exam
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 17, 2019, 06:22 PM
  5. Determine the approximate short circuit current available
    By rasilva in forum NETA Level 3 Exam
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 21, 2018, 06:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Follow us


Explore TestGuy


NETA Certification Training


NICET Electrical Power Testing


Help and Support