Follow Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How did you get started in testing?

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by veracon0700 View Post
    Just curious as to how everyone got started in electrical testing. I started out working as a residential electrician helper many years ago and then signed up with my local union to get into the apprenticeship program because it paid more. After working as a journeyman for many years work started to get slow and a buddy of mine put in a good word for me at the testing company he was working for. I was later hired and it wasn't long after I earned my NETA Level II and III certification, now the rest is history...
    I have a similar background. Started as union electrician apprentice, got licence, got laid off, finished school (bachelors of science EE) and now testing.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Navy nuke electrician right to a testing company. That is a pretty common path for this industry along with Army Prime Power guys

Cmartinez1029 is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Just curious as to how everyone got started in electrical testing. I started out working as a residential electrician helper many years ago and then signed up with my local union to get into the apprenticeship program because it paid more. After working as a journeyman for many years work started to get slow and a buddy of mine put in a good word for me at the testing company he was working for. I was later hired and it wasn't long after I earned my NETA Level II and III certification, now the rest is history...
    I worked for a company that provided infrared inspections right out of high school, and about three years into thermography we were bought by an extremely large test company that required us to pass our NETA exams. Ever since i've been learning how to test and have been very happy with the unexpected career change!

7. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by codycody103 View Post
    school internship -> electrical engineering degree -> friend of a friend -> Electrical testing
    for me: working at restaurant -> electrical engineering degree -> friend of a friend -> Electrical testing

9. Join Date
    Dec 2018
    I was a roofer and fell off a house and couldn't walk right for a year or so. After that i never really wanted to get on a roof again. So, I decided to got to Trade school and got an EUT degree. Started applying to anyone that would give me a job with no experience. Found an outfit that traveled the country and paid pretty crappy, but I had to start somewhere. Now i am with a NETA certified company and receiving some really good training.

11. Join Date
    Feb 2019

WAR EAGLE!
    Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    I got my start testing power transformers for Hyundai Heavy Industries in Ulsan, South Korea back in 2011.

15. Join Date
    Jan 2019
    I got my start in the US Army 249th Engineer Battalion. They are a NETA recognized company and allow us to take the tests.

17. Join Date
    May 2019
    Getting my start in a few weeks. A close friend/colleague at my current job thought I'd be a good fit for this type of work and got me an interview. Always enjoyed using Mass of Earth/Fall of potential tester at my first job, and using the megaohmmeter to locate faults in cables and equipment.

*edit* So I'm a few weeks in to the new job and have been placed into the Relay crew of our company. We've primarily just been doing Relay panel upgrade projects for the Utility company in our area. SEL-421 and -411 relays + panels, wiring and commissioning testing/end to end testing. Exciting stuff, a lot of new information.
    Last edited by cotton; August 31, 2019 at 04:39 PM.

Subscribe

Share this thread