×
Follow Us
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Acceptance test of MV cable

 Jump to latest post
    #1
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    3
    Reputation

    Acceptance test of MV cable

    Good day dears,

    We have an MV cable(6/10KV) in our offshore platform; this is going to energize the first time. Its hi-pot was done around two years back. The cables were idle for 22 months after the hi-pot.Is it Ok to proceed with this old hi-pot result, or do we need to do suitable acceptance tests like VLF/reduced voltage hi-pot..?

    Looking forward to your valuable responses with reference standards.

  2. #2
  3. tcoupekyle is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    15
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by ratheeshele1234 View Post
    Good day dears,

    We have an MV cable(6/10KV) in our offshore platform; this is going to energize the first time. Its hi-pot was done around two years back. The cables were idle for 22 months after the hi-pot.Is it Ok to proceed with this old hi-pot result, or do we need to do suitable acceptance tests like VLF/reduced voltage hi-pot..?

    Looking forward to your valuable responses with reference standards.

    I would think it would depend on the scenario. Was there heaters on? Clean? Etc etc once in service the cables are many times not hi pot tested again for years. I think the factor here is simply moisture. If it's offshore situation I'm sure there's allot of moisture.

  4. #3
  5. Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    3
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by tcoupekyle View Post
    I would think it would depend on the scenario. Was there heaters on? Clean? Etc etc once in service the cables are many times not hi pot tested again for years. I think the factor here is simply moisture. If it's offshore situation I'm sure there's allot of moisture.
    Thanks for the response.The heater was not ON.The cable ends stay with in the equipment enclosure.Is it Ok to perform VLF?

  6. #4
  7. SecondGen's Avatar
    SecondGen is offline
    I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    487
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by ratheeshele1234 View Post
    Thanks for the response.The heater was not ON.The cable ends stay with in the equipment enclosure.Is it Ok to perform VLF?
    Do you have access to a megger? I'd put that on first before doing VLF.

  8. #5
  9. Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    3
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    Do you have access to a megger? I'd put that on first before doing VLF.
    Well noted and many thanks.....

Subscribe

Login or register to leave a reply!


Share this thread

Related Topics

  1. Before acceptance testing begins, what steps should be taken
    By swami59 in forum NETA Level 3 Exam
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 7, 2021, 05:47 PM
  2. Panelboard Acceptance Testing per NETA
    By anonymous in forum Electrical Testing Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 23, 2020, 07:48 PM
  3. Correct test voltage for 5KV cable?
    By lfmontoyas in forum NETA Level 3 Exam
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 29, 2020, 11:45 AM
  4. How to verify MV Cable Test Reports?
    By mike01 in forum Electrical Testing Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 12, 2020, 09:29 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 29, 2016, 03:03 PM

Tags for this Thread



Related Content


Follow us


Explore TestGuy


NETA Certification Training


NICET Electrical Power Testing


Help and Support