Follow Us

Collinite Cleaners: Which do you use?

Jump to latest post
    I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Collinite Cleaners: Which do you use?

New techs often wonder about the different Collinite cleaners and their uses, so I figured we could do a quick run down and get some opinions on this stuff. Which of these have you used in the past and do you like any alternatives better?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collinite cleaners.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	524

I've only personally used Collinite 240 for HV porcelain in outdoor switchyards and it reminds me of Turtle Wax, which can also be used from what I'm told (never tried it). The grit and wax shines and protects the proceleain so that water can easily bead and run off to prevent tracking.

Collinite 237 is a great all around cleaner for nearly everything including porcelain. Its kind of thin and watery with a slight abrasion. You might need to use this to get off hard grime and then finish off the job with 240 for protection.

I don't have any experience with S-238 but know some linemen use them on fiberglass parts and bucket trucks. We typically use Rainbow or Voltz for insulated tools and such.

3. tcoupekyle is offline Member Pro Subscriber
    I've had to use each in different scenarios. Just my experience.
    240 cleaner/protector is great all around product. And the most time saving.
    Only on 2 sites have I used the cleaner and wax separately as part of a requirement of the customer. I don't know if the product is better really but I do like the single step process over the 2 step process more though.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    New techs often wonder about the different Collinite cleaners and their uses, so I figured we could do a quick run down and get some opinions on this stuff. Which of these have you used in the past and do you like any alternatives better?

I've only personally used Collinite 240 for HV porcelain in outdoor switchyards and it reminds me of Turtle Wax, which can also be used from what I'm told (never tried it). The grit and wax shines and protects the proceleain so that water can easily bead and run off to prevent tracking.

Collinite 237 is a great all around cleaner for nearly everything including porcelain. Its kind of thin and watery with a slight abrasion. You might need to use this to get off hard grime and then finish off the job with 240 for protection.

I don't have any experience with S-238 but know some linemen use them on fiberglass parts and bucket trucks. We typically use Rainbow or Voltz for insulated tools and such.
    My company uses 240 exclusively. I actually haven't seen many other companies or techs use or talk about it much. It seems like most of the time I bring it up to people they don't know what it is. I didn't know 237 could be used on everything I might have to talk to our parts guy about getting some for the really dirty rebuilds.

7. rofo42 is offline Seasoned Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post

We don't use the wax much. What we have on hand and "approved" is Collinite 845. Seems to be pretty different than what you posted. I have seen the wax hurt power factor readings and I subscribe to the idea that if the bushing is visually clean and it tests good, leave it alone. I sometimes think that a wax, improperly applied, can possibly attract contaminates.

That may be the wrong mentality to have but it has served me fairly well so far.

Subscribe

Share this thread