Follow Us

Dielectric Testing ASTM D1816

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Dielectric Testing ASTM D1816

Hello, can someone recommend a company that can perform Dielectric Testing to standard ASTM D1816 for compressor oil? We have about 30 samples that need to be tested, each sample is approx 3-3.5oz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you

3. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurenceLangrell View Post
    Hello, can someone recommend a company that can perform Dielectric Testing to standard ASTM D1816 for compressor oil? We have about 30 samples that need to be tested, each sample is approx 3-3.5oz.

Thank you
    ASTM 1816 is a standard dielectric test for insulating oils. Same concept as ASTM 877 but with different electrode shape and spacing. I am curious why compressor oil would be tested for dielectric strength.

Are you sure ASTM 1816 is the test you require?

In any case the ASTM 1816 Test Cell will require much more then 3.5 Oz of sample fluid to test.

I hope this helps.

Pat

5. Join Date
    Jul 2021
    ASTM 1816

Hello Pat,

We want to determine if the oil is breaking down and its insulation properties are deteriorating, this could create an issue internally with the compressor if this is occurring. Do you feel ASTM 877 could achieve this? I am not familiar with this standard, so would need to research.

Quote Originally Posted by TestTech View Post
    ASTM 1816 is a standard dielectric test for insulating oils. Same concept as ASTM 877 but with different electrode shape and spacing. I am curious why compressor oil would be tested for dielectric strength.

Are you sure ASTM 1816 is the test you require?

In any case the ASTM 1816 Test Cell will require much more then 3.5 Oz of sample fluid to test.

I hope this helps.

Pat

7. Join Date
    May 2017
    Hello Pat,

We want to determine if the oil is breaking down and its insulation properties are deteriorating, this could create an issue internally with the compressor if this is occurring. Do you feel ASTM 877 could achieve this? I am not familiar with this standard, so would need to research.
    I would consult the compressor manufacturer and see exactly what oil tests he recommends. While it is true ASTM1816 is a HV Dielectric Test that is more sensitive to moisture, there other methods to determine the moisture content. Any oil lab (Weidmann, Doble, TJ/H2B, etc) can perform Moisture and Dielectric tests, but you may want to test for other things that may effect your compressor. See what the manufacturer recommends for your compressor type. When talking to labs insure you ask how much oil is required for each sample to perform the tests you require.

Pat

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber

Thank you
    You might be better off with ASTM D6224-16 (Standard Practice for In-Service Monitoring of Lubricating Oil for Auxiliary Power Plant Equipment) or ASTM 4285-83 (Standard Test Method for Indicating Oil or Water in Compressors and pneumatic machines)

I would say at least Weidmann labs should be able to perform these tests, or a similar lab:

https://www.weidmann-electrical.com/...fluid-testing/

Subscribe

Share this thread