Follow Us

ANSI Rule of Thumb for Transformer Polarity

Jump to latest post
  1. bec51392 is offline NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    ANSI Rule of Thumb for Transformer Polarity

Facing the High Voltage side of a three phase transformer, where is H1?
    Your Answer: In the center
    Correct Answer: Over the right shoulder
    Help: Transformer Polarity Test Procedures - ANSI Rule of Thumb for Transformer Polarity

"The placement of the bushings in a three-phase transformer is also standardized. The high voltage bushings are arranged H3, H2, H1, and H0 from left to right when facing the transformer from the high-voltage side."

May just be because I'm sleepy but I don't understand why H1 is over my shoulder. if I'm looking at it why is it behind me.

According to IEEE 43, at what level may a PI value indicate that insulation is brittle?
    Your Answer: 8
    Correct Answer: 10

Indications of Brittle Motor Insulation

According to IEEE Standard 43, when the PI value exceeds 8 it may indicate insulation that is dried out and brittle to the point that it could fail mechanically as well as electrically.
    Reference: NETA World Summer 2004 Tech Quiz #68

Also IEEE 43 2013 pg 17 second paragraph. 8 not 10.

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by bec51392 View Post
    Help: Transformer Polarity Test Procedures - ANSI Rule of Thumb for Transformer Polarity

"The placement of the bushings in a three-phase transformer is also standardized. The high voltage bushings are arranged H3, H2, H1, and H0 from left to right when facing the transformer from the high-voltage side."

May just be because I'm sleepy but I don't understand why H1 is over my shoulder. if I'm looking at it why is it behind me.

According to IEEE 43, at what level may a PI value indicate that insulation is brittle?

According to IEEE Standard 43, when the PI value exceeds 8 it may indicate insulation that is dried out and brittle to the point that it could fail mechanically as well as electrically.

The question has been asked before, and the intent is that your standing on a GSU type transformer centerline facing secondary. Question should be worded better.

5. bec51392 is offline NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    The question has been asked before, and the intent is that your standing on a GSU type transformer centerline facing secondary. Question should be worded better.
    Ohhhhhh. See that makes sense but that is absolutely NOT what I thought of. Even so... that makes it more wrong. the question says facing the high side. if you are on top of the transformer, centerline, facing high side, H1 is at your left foot. Xs are over your shoulder.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    Where did standing on top of the equipment come from? "Over your shoulder" might not be the best term, unless you imagine having an out of body experience and you are standing behind yourself. Maybe it should say "to the far right?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three-phase-transformer-polarity-left-to-right.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	517

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber

We should probably start a new thread for this one but I think the intent was sort of a trick question because IEEE says "exceeds" 8, so the next possible answer would be 10.

11. bec51392 is offline NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    We should probably start a new thread for this one but I think the intent was sort of a trick question because IEEE says "exceeds" 8, so the next possible answer would be 10.
    ehhh yeah I see what you are saying...

Name:	43.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	518

13. bec51392 is offline NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    Where did standing on top of the equipment come from? "Over your shoulder" might not be the best term, unless you imagine having an out of body experience and you are standing behind yourself. Maybe it should say "to the far right?"

Name:	three-phase-transformer-polarity-left-to-right.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	517
    So did we decide this question just sucks? I am studying for the 3 now and got it again. Messed my head up all over again.

15. viking12 is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Transformer Polarity Test procedures

I envisioned looking at a padmount transformer looking at the high side section. while standing close enough to touch the bushings; if i lifted my right hand to shoulder height, i would be able to touch the H1 bushing. Therefore it reads: above your right shoulder.

17. bec51392 is offline NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by viking12 View Post
    I envisioned looking at a padmount transformer looking at the high side section. while standing close enough to touch the bushings; if i lifted my right hand to shoulder height, i would be able to touch the H1 bushing. Therefore it reads: above your right shoulder.
    I see what your getting at there. thats the best take on it yet and I can follow it... but it does say "over" not "above". bit of a stretch in my opinion. Im also used to smaller transformers so i envisioned something much smaller

Subscribe

Share this thread