Follow Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Applying a solidly grounded wire after hipot test

Jump to latest post
    I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by bec51392 View Post
    Applying a solidly grounded wire immediately after performing a high-potential test:
    Your Answer: Will ensure immediate personally safety.
    Correct Answer: May damage the insulation under test.

I cant find anything that supports this. Everything I read says ground it after....
    You guys have already found the standards but I'll just add, I've seen nasty cable discharges back in the old days of DC hipoting. Terminations can easily be damaged if you don't give it some time (4x test period was the rule of thumb) or use a discharge stick. Some guys just attached a rubber bungie cord to a ground, they have about 8 ohms resistance.

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    You guys have already found the standards but I'll just add, I've seen nasty cable discharges back in the old days of DC hipoting. Terminations can easily be damaged if you don't give it some time (4x test period was the rule of thumb) or use a discharge stick. Some guys just attached a rubber bungie cord to a ground, they have about 8 ohms resistance.
    After discharging with a homemade ground stick, I would apply electric fence wire to the terminals and ground and leave for the electricians to remove. I've seen cables (~2000ft long or more) build a charge after 24 hrs grounded.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    After discharging with a homemade ground stick, I would apply electric fence wire to the terminals and ground and leave for the electricians to remove. I've seen cables (~2000ft long or more) build a charge after 24 hrs grounded.
    Another great point, can also confirm long cable runs will rebuild a charge. I've even seen this happen on low voltage cable too but not as severe as MV. It's a good idea to leave cables grounded with some bare wire for the next guy, if possible.

When you don't have wire, you can even just lay the exposed conductor against the equipment enclosure or ground bus, anything helps. Nobody wants to be responsible for having someone get bit.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by epenland View Post
    Applying a solidly grounded wire immediately after performing a high-potential test:
    it cause damage to the cable you just test

Subscribe

Share this thread