Follow Us

15kv vacuum breaker maintenance hipot test voltage

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2020
    15kv vacuum breaker maintenance hipot test voltage

Wondering what the test voltage is for a 15kv vacuum breaker (13.8kv nominal voltage) for AC hipot. Maintenance test. Thanks!

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Fieldtech View Post
    Wondering what the test voltage is for a 15kv vacuum breaker (13.8kv nominal voltage) for AC hipot. Maintenance test. Thanks!
    First, manufacturer's do not differentiate between acceptance and maintenance test values for vacuum integrity test.

Second, each manufacturer has a specific test voltage for each voltage rated vacuum breaker. So, to answer your question would require the manufacturer and type of breaker. My recommendation would be to look up the manual for that breaker and under vacuum integrity/withstand testing look for the appropriate voltage level.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    NETA has testing voltage at 27 kV for the 2019 version, but any manufacturer literature will always supersede this.
    General Electric breakers sometimes will ask for Vacuum Integrity testing at 36 kV for 10 seconds.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronCBI View Post
    NETA has testing voltage at 27 kV for the 2019 version, but any manufacturer literature will always supersede this.
    General Electric breakers sometimes will ask for Vacuum Integrity testing at 36 kV for 10 seconds.
    If you think about it, the contact gap is less than 1/2" on any vacuum bottle. If you apply over 10kvac across 1/2" gap that is solidly grounded on the other pole I am pretty sure it will fail.

This is a go, no go test.

There is no state in the real world that is a partial vacuum.

If the bottle vacuum is compromised it will fail.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gasman View Post
    If you think about it, the contact gap is less than 1/2" on any vacuum bottle. If you apply over 10kvac across 1/2" gap that is solidly grounded on the other pole I am pretty sure it will fail.

This is a go, no go test.

There is no state in the real world that is a partial vacuum.

If the bottle vacuum is compromised it will fail.
    I have tested thousands of vacuum bottles on VB1 type breakers with the ML-17 and ML-18 mechanisms at 36 kV in accordance with the manufacturer service literature. Vacuum interrupters that still have integrity to the "vacuum" will withstand this voltage for 10 seconds without failure. The contact travel for these breakers is roughly 0.55" (0.54" - 0.6" nominally).
    I have tested a few 27 kV breakers (VCP-Ws I believe) that called for over 40kV testing voltage and the vacuum interrupters were able to withstand test voltage without failure.

11. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    I have tested thousands of vacuum bottles on VB1 type breakers with the ML-17 and ML-18 mechanisms at 36 kV in accordance with the manufacturer service literature. Vacuum interrupters that still have integrity to the "vacuum" will withstand this voltage for 10 seconds without failure. The contact travel for these breakers is roughly 0.55" (0.54" - 0.6" nominally).
    I have tested a few 27 kV breakers (VCP-Ws I believe) that called for over 40kV testing voltage and the vacuum interrupters were able to withstand test voltage without failure.
    Exactly what I was saying. If it is good @ 10kv, it will be good @36kv. A vacuum bottle cannot partially fail.

Vacuum Integrity is a Pass/Fail test.

13. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gasman View Post
    Exactly what I was saying. If it is good @ 10kv, it will be good @36kv. A vacuum bottle cannot partially fail.

Vacuum Integrity is a Pass/Fail test.
    Oh I am sorry, I totally misunderstood.

15. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Oh I am sorry, I totally misunderstood.
    Higher voltages will stress the surface leakage over the outer surface of the bottle, but if the bottle is bad it is bad.

Subscribe

Share this thread