Follow Us

Trying to get in the Relay World

1. Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Trying to get in the Relay World

Hi, im trying to get a Relay technician job and was wanting some input on what knowledge or certifications would make me stand out? I have a B.S in Electronics Systems Technology, FCC Licenses, Ham radio License, SEL 101 course certificate, and have job shadowed around 16 hours of wiring, testing, and over viewing of substations/ protection schemes. I recently checked on the Neta and Nicet certifications but they have job hour requirements. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrismaro View Post
    Hi, im trying to get a Relay technician job and was wanting some input on what knowledge or certifications would make me stand out? I have a B.S in Electronics Systems Technology, FCC Licenses, Ham radio License, SEL 101 course certificate, and have job shadowed around 16 hours of wiring, testing, and over viewing of substations/ protection schemes. I recently checked on the Neta and Nicet certifications but they have job hour requirements. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Not sure about certifications other than NETA and any courses you have taken like your SEL one.

As far as knowledge goes I would recommend you do some reading before your interview. I recommend:
    The Art and Science of Protective Relaying (older but good reference and free)
    The Relay Testing Handbook (newer and more details on how to actually test. for example how to hook up tests)

Good luck

Subscribe

Share this thread