×
Follow Us
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Testing Guide for new Engineers

 Jump to latest post
    #1
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    6
    Reputation

    Testing Guide for new Engineers

    Hello guys,

    I hope you all are doing well. I want to learn Designing, Testing and Relay testing. I have 7 years of experience in substation projects but I am not very good at designing, testing and relay testing of substation projects. Please guide me, how I can learn the aforementioned things?

  2. #2
  3. Kalbi_Rob's Avatar
    Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    187
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Waqas2121 View Post
    Hello guys,

    I hope you all are doing well. I want to learn Designing, Testing and Relay testing. I have 7 years of experience in substation projects but I am not very good at designing, testing and relay testing of substation projects. Please guide me, how I can learn the aforementioned things?
    That is a tall order you are asking for. The first step is to look at the NETA ATS/MTS and IEEE standards (I would start with the color books). For power factor testing, Doble is the pioneer, with newer test sets providing updated test procedures (Omicron, Megger, etc.). For Relay testing, there are numerous companies out there that provide in-person training, but I would visit Chris Werstiuk for a baseline and move up from there (https://relaytraining.com/), his books are easy to read and understand with basic algebra/trig understanding.
    Another great resource for Testing principles is Paul Gill's book: Electrical Power Equipment Maintenance and Testing.

    As for design, I would recommend looking at University courses, as their curriculum can point you to specific text books on Substation theory which assist with design.

    Lastly, NERC/FERC controls all utility guidelines.

  4. #3
  5. Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    6
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    That is a tall order you are asking for. The first step is to look at the NETA ATS/MTS and IEEE standards (I would start with the color books). For power factor testing, Doble is the pioneer, with newer test sets providing updated test procedures (Omicron, Megger, etc.). For Relay testing, there are numerous companies out there that provide in-person training, but I would visit Chris Werstiuk for a baseline and move up from there (https://relaytraining.com/), his books are easy to read and understand with basic algebra/trig understanding.
    Another great resource for Testing principles is Paul Gill's book: Electrical Power Equipment Maintenance and Testing.

    As for design, I would recommend looking at University courses, as their curriculum can point you to specific text books on Substation theory which assist with design.

    Lastly, NERC/FERC controls all utility guidelines.
    Will you please elaborate what is meant by books? how to get it?

  6. #4
  7. SecondGen's Avatar
    SecondGen is offline
    I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    421
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Waqas2121 View Post
    Will you please elaborate what is meant by books? how to get it?
    I'm assuming since your location says Pakistan, something was lost in translation, "books" are written or printed literature. You will need to buy these from websites or find electronic versions, usually in PDF format.

  8. #5
  9. Kalbi_Rob's Avatar
    Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    187
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Waqas2121 View Post
    Will you please elaborate what is meant by books? how to get it?
    NETA ATS/MTS Standards : https://neta.netaworld.org/netassa/e..._home_category

    IEEE Standards: https://www.ieee.org/standards/index.html

    Paul Gill: https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Eq.../dp/1574446568

    Chris Werstiuk: https://relaytraining.com/relay-test...ook-series-v3/

    As for University Textbook, here is one that some schools use for Substation Design Theory: https://www.chegg.com/textbooks/powe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

  10. #6
  11. Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    6
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    I'm assuming since your location says Pakistan, something was lost in translation, "books" are written or printed literature. You will need to buy these from websites or find electronic versions, usually in PDF format.
    Thank you for your response. Yes, I live in Pakistan but believe me or not I know what really books are...

  12. #7
  13. Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    6
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    Thank you.

  14. #8
  15. Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    26
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Waqas2121 View Post
    Hello guys,

    I hope you all are doing well. I want to learn Designing, Testing and Relay testing. I have 7 years of experience in substation projects but I am not very good at designing, testing and relay testing of substation projects. Please guide me, how I can learn the aforementioned things?
    A great guide for relay testing is "The Relay Testing Handbook" by Chris Werstiuk

Subscribe

Login or register to leave a reply!


Share this thread

Tags for this Thread



Related Content


Follow us


Explore TestGuy


NETA Certification Training


NICET Electrical Power Testing


Help and Support