Follow Us

Requirements to operate a power circuit breaker

1. sleepiejak is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Requirements to operate a power circuit breaker

I dont understand. For the following question how is "hazards" not the most important thing to understand.

Before personnel are allowed to operate a power circuit breaker they must first understand the ________ of the breaker.

Yes its a catch all the term hazards but with the amount of information given. I dont need to know how a breaker operates to operate it. As long as i understand operating a breaker could interrupt power if its the wrong one, closing on a tie with out of phase power supplies could cause it to explode, if its under lubricated could cause damage, or placing my hand if the wrong spot could crush it. The hazards of operating the breaker is by far the most important thing to understand.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepiejak View Post
    I dont understand. For the following question how is "hazards" not the most important thing to understand.

Before personnel are allowed to operate a power circuit breaker they must first understand the ________ of the breaker.

Yes its a catch all the term hazards but with the amount of information given. I dont need to know how a breaker operates to operate it. As long as i understand operating a breaker could interrupt power if its the wrong one, closing on a tie with out of phase power supplies could cause it to explode, if its under lubricated could cause damage, or placing my hand if the wrong spot could crush it. The hazards of operating the breaker is by far the most important thing to understand.
    i think it is a question that is wrong. the other answers were not suitable for the question

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepiejak View Post

Found this in an EATON SB circuit breaker manual regarding qualified personnel. You should most definitely be knowledgeable on how a breaker functions and how it interfaces with the system before operating it.

A person should not be considered qualified if the individual is not thoroughly trained in the operation of the circuit breaker and how it interfaces with the assembly in which its used.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200724_082629.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	376.0 KB 
ID:	475

https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/pub...nt/2c12063.pdf

Subscribe

Share this thread