Follow Us

Surge arrester testing(34.5kv, 161kv, 330kv)

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Surge arrester testing(34.5kv, 161kv, 330kv)

What's the appropriate test can I perform on my surge arrester(Lighting arrester) both polymer and porcelain type. Assist me with drawings/sketches of the test procedures and also type of instrument to be used to ascertain the condition of the arrester. Thanks

There can be only one!
    Quote Originally Posted by samkay View Post
    What's the appropriate test can I perform on my surge arrester(Lighting arrester) both polymer and porcelain type. Assist me with drawings/sketches of the test procedures and also type of instrument to be used to ascertain the condition of the arrester. Thanks
    https://testguy.net/content/286-Surg...sting-Overview

Testing grounding connections, bolted connections, and megger is all that is required per NETA. Watts loss is optional. I am personally skeptical of its merit.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Surge Arrester Testing

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me recommended or minimum requirement of Surge Arrester Site Acceptance Test that we can perform at site?

It would be helpful for me to perform at site.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Partha View Post
    Hi All,

Can anyone tell me recommended or minimum requirement of Surge Arrester Site Acceptance Test that we can perform at site?

What manufacturer surge arrestor?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rofo42 View Post
    What manufacturer surge arrestor?
    Siemens

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Partha View Post
    Hi All,

NETA ATS Section 7.19.2 will give you the best guidance on this. I can summarize to give you an idea but be sure to refer to the latest standard.

Visual/Mechanical: Verify nameplate matches project specifications, inspect the installation and appropriate clearances, verify individual ground leads on each device, check stroke counter if present.

Electrical: Measure resistance through bolted electrical connections and grounding connections using low-resistance ohmmeter and perform insulation resistance test. Watt-loss testing is optional per NETA but I would recommended if available. Test voltages for electrical tests will depend on the voltage class of the arrester.

You may find this article helpful: https://testguy.net/content/286-Surg...sting-Overview

13. Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Surge Arrester Testing

Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    NETA ATS Section 7.19.2 will give you the best guidance on this. I can summarize to give you an idea but be sure to refer to the latest standard.

Visual/Mechanical: Verify nameplate matches project specifications, inspect the installation and appropriate clearances, verify individual ground leads on each device, check stroke counter if present.

Electrical: Measure resistance through bolted electrical connections and grounding connections using low-resistance ohmmeter and perform insulation resistance test. Watt-loss testing is optional per NETA but I would recommended if available. Test voltages for electrical tests will depend on the voltage class of the arrester.

You may find this article helpful: https://testguy.net/content/286-Surg...sting-Overview

Thanks for your information, it's so valuable and useful notes.

I have a question,

If SAT has Measurement of surge arrester current prior to commissioning of SA.
    1.How can we perform this Surge arrester measurement current test?
    2.What kind of test set will be used to measure SA current?
    3.Yes in FAT, it was performed as follows

Iref, M (rated voltage of arrester units 96Kv),Type 3EL2
    3mA,98.3kV to 99.7kV

4.Or After energization of SA, can we record the SA current in current leakage monitor.Is it acceptable?

Your input is highly appreciated.
    Thanks

15. Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Power Factor

At the utility I work at, we power factor all of our lighting arresters.

17. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    surge arresters

The only true way to know the condition of a surge arrester is the impulse test. Sine this is not a field test the other options are a watts loss test and an infrared. If performing IR one must scan a full 360 degrees as one side may have an increase in temperature while the other side is not indicating an issue. 3-5 degree C above ambient is an indication of an issue. Past IR and watts loss tests have verified that the "problem" arrester will have a higher watts loss related to the one with the higher temperature.

As for the watts loss test the test voltage and watts loss are determined by the voltage rating of the arrester and type. The silicon carbide and metal oxide will vary in voltage and watts loss. Power factor is not calculated due to the very low charging current. When testing identical arresters the current and watts loss should be similar.

The test connect for a single stack is Grounded Specimen Test (GST). No low voltage lead is required for this test.

If a two stack is being tested the top must be disconnected. The top arrester will be testing in the Ungrounded Specimen Test mode (UST) and the bottom arrester will be tested in the GST- Guard mode.

Subscribe

Share this thread