Follow Us

3 Phase Scott-T transformers operation manual

Jump to latest post
    There can be only one!
    3 Phase Scott-T transformers operation manual

I'm looking for a good write-up on the operation of Scott-Ts to confirm what I think is going on. 3 Phase to 3 phase in particular. The most I get is a paragraph everywhere I look. Calculus involvement is ok. I'm not scared

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by test11 View Post
    I'm looking for a good write-up on the operation of Scott-Ts to confirm what I think is going on. 3 Phase to 3 phase in particular. The most I get is a paragraph everywhere I look. Calculus involvement is ok. I'm not scared
    https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tex...-applications/

There can be only one!
    Yeah same problem. 3 phase to 2 phase. Not 3 phase to 3 phase.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scott_t_3_phase.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	442

The Scott-T transformer connection may be also used in a back to back T to T arrangement for a three-phase to 3 phase connection. This is a cost saving in the smaller kVA transformers due to the 2 coil T connected to a secondary 2 coil T in-lieu of the traditional three-coil primary to three-coil secondary transformer. In this arrangement the Neutral tap is part way up on the secondary teaser transformer .
    The voltage stability of this T to T arrangement as compared to the traditional 3 coil primary to three-coil secondary transformer is questioned.
    It appears that you just get a cheap ferroresonant transformer for ground isolation, and/or UPS voltage transient suppression (but downfall is high neutral currents). There are a couple of white papers on IEEE.org, specifically "A comparison of three phase Scott-T and ferroresonant transformers" by Robert J. Kakalec.

There can be only one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    It appears that you just get a cheap ferroresonant transformer for ground isolation, and/or UPS voltage transient suppression (but downfall is high neutral currents). There are a couple of white papers on IEEE.org, specifically "A comparison of three phase Scott-T and ferroresonant transformers" by Robert J. Kakalec.
    Thanks man! I always forget I have access to IEEE now. Been so long without it, I automatically look elsewhere.

Edit: Unfortunately, this configuration still utilizes 2 phase output. It's just comparing using a 3 phase ferroresonant transformer for a rectifier use vs Scott-T with a 2 phase output.
    Last edited by test11; April 12, 2020 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by test11 View Post
    Thanks man! I always forget I have access to IEEE now. Been so long without it, I automatically look elsewhere.

Edit: Unfortunately, this configuration still utilizes 2 phase output. It's just comparing using a 3 phase ferroresonant transformer for a rectifier use vs Scott-T with a 2 phase output.
    I think you are overthinking it, as they put 2 t-transformers back to back to produce the 3phase-3phase. Only math I cannot see is if the output is 180 or 0 degrees from the input since the 3ph-2ph Scott outputs a phase shift of 90 degrees. The 3-ph version just uses the same 2-ph output commoned between the 2 t-transformers.

There can be only one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    I think you are overthinking it, as they put 2 t-transformers back to back to produce the 3phase-3phase. Only math I cannot see is if the output is 180 or 0 degrees from the input since the 3ph-2ph Scott outputs a phase shift of 90 degrees. The 3-ph version just uses the same 2-ph output commoned between the 2 t-transformers.
    I got ahold of a rep for a manufacturer who makes these. He gave me some textbooks to look at and confirmed my suspicions that it is pretty different from the 3 to 2 phase configuration. I haven't had time to look due to my newborn son, but I will post what I find for the fellow curious.

Subscribe

Share this thread