Follow Us

Power Transformers VS. Distribution Transformers

RedBrick is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Power Transformers VS. Distribution Transformers

How do you define a power transformer and a distribution transformer? I have asked the question to a few people and haven't received an answer that is rooted in anything, but more or less an opinion. The closest thing I have found is in IEEE 141. 10.4.1.1 states "The distribution type covers the range of 3 to 500KVA; the power type covers all ratings above 500KVA."

NETA 2019 MTS 7.2.1.2.D.3 (Power-Factor Tests)

C-HL POWER Transformers: 2.0% or less
    C-HL DISTRIBUTION Transformers: 5.0% or less

NETA TABLE 100.3 also differentiates between Power & Distribution Transformers
    Last edited by RedBrick; March 17, 2020 at 07:04 PM.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBrick View Post
    How do you define a power transformer and a distribution transformer? I have asked the question to a few people and haven't received an answer that is rooted in anything, but more or less an opinion. The closest thing I have found is in IEEE 141. 10.4.1.1 states "The distribution type covers the range of 3 to 500KVA; the power type covers all ratings above 500KVA."

NETA 2019 MTS 7.2.1.2.D.3 (Power-Factor Tests)

C-HL POWER Transformers: 2.0% or less
    C-HL DISTRIBUTION Transformers: 5.0% or less

NETA TABLE 100.3 also differentiates between Power & Distribution Transformers
    Far as I know, you are correct. Power transformers are those generally contained within substations (outdoor and indoor), where as distribution transformers are generally those used to "distribute" power throughout a facility or more specifically, the end user. 500kVA is generally the threshold, you will find NETA has different criteria for transformers based on the 500kVA rating.

RedBrick is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    Far as I know, you are correct. Power transformers are those generally contained within substations (outdoor and indoor), where as distribution transformers are generally those used to "distribute" power throughout a facility or more specifically, the end user. 500kVA is generally the threshold, you will find NETA has different criteria for transformers based on the 500kVA rating.
    SecondGen thanks for the reply, appreciate it. The way NETA words it is a little confusing.

7.2.1.1 Dry Type low-voltage transformers, Small
    NOTE: "This category consists of power transformers with windings rated 600 volts or less and sizes equal to or less than 167kVA single phase or 500kVa three-phase"

7.2.1.2 Dry Type transformers, Large
    NOTE: "This category consists of power transformers with windings rated higher than 600 volts and low voltage transformers larger than 167 kVA single-phase or 500 kVA three-phase"

Subscribe

Share this thread