Follow Us

De-energize when meggering

1. Join Date
    Apr 2022
    De-energize when meggering

My boss and I meggered cables on a deenergized 1200A switchboard today with a mulitmeter, (set at 50v) fast and easy test, Phase to phase ( A-B, B-C, C-A, A-G, B-G, C-G. Make sure it's over 100mv and hold over a minute) went smooth but the inspector wanted to see if all cable lugs were torqued so a coworker went in to show him that they are but, applying 50v DC it caused it to energized it and feed back so he did get hit but nothing major, just a zap, he is okay. So, a way to deenergize it is to "ground it out", grab any size wire and safely tap the cable lugs the test were ran on. Point of this do not get comfortable because experience electricity does not care!!! stay safe.

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Kito11 View Post
    My boss and I meggered cables on a deenergized 1200A switchboard today with a mulitmeter, (set at 50v) fast and easy test, Phase to phase ( A-B, B-C, C-A, A-G, B-G, C-G. Make sure it's over 100mv and hold over a minute) went smooth but the inspector wanted to see if all cable lugs were torqued so a coworker went in to show him that they are but, applying 50v DC it caused it to energized it and feed back so he did get hit but nothing major, just a zap, he is okay. So, a way to deenergize it is to "ground it out", grab any size wire and safely tap the cable lugs the test were ran on. Point of this do not get comfortable because experience electricity does not care!!! stay safe.
    I highly recommend reading "A stitch in time" from Megger:
    https://www.testequipmentdepot.com/m...ting_guide.pdf

Also, when testing cable, always discharge the cable for atleast 4 time the time used to apply voltage:

"This stored energy, too, must be released at the end of a test, and requires a longer time than the capacitance charging current – about four times as long as the voltage was applied." -A Stitch In Time

Level 3 Certified Button Pusher
    What kind of cables were you megging at 50 Volts?

Subscribe

Share this thread

Follow us

Explore TestGuy

NETA Certification Training

NICET Electrical Power Testing

Help and Support

You are viewing the archives. Enjoy new features and join the conversation at wiki.testguy.net