Follow Us

Switching under full load

Jump to latest post
    TrapFlyVenus is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Switching under full load

Commissioning agents want to switch ups system under full load and they want us to do it. What would you guys do?

3. Steviep is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapFlyVenus View Post
    Commissioning agents want to switch ups system under full load and they want us to do it. What would you guys do?
    Is the unit rated to be switched at full load? If the arc flash isn't high and if me and my co-workers were qualified id say do it. Just ensure all safety measures are taken to keep you here with us.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    For our Company the policy is no switching of live equipment, the customer does that. If they insist that we do it they are required to sign a waver that in the event that the switching that we do causes any damage we are not held responsible. Usually the customer is reluctant to sign this and they do the switching.

But check with your company to see what their policy is for live switching.

And if it comes back that you will do the switching I would double check that all the pieces of the system are rated for the load/forces you will be putting the on the system. It all comes down to your confidence level.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Steviep View Post
    Is the unit rated to be switched at full load? If the arc flash isn't high and if me and my co-workers were qualified id say do it. Just ensure all safety measures are taken to keep you here with us.
    I would also consider this.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Switching under load

Have done this several times for performing battery run-down test for UPS and perform infrared scan while running on batteries. I have not seen the breaker in switchgear fail, but what really scares me is the actual UPS or batteries. I have seen batteries and UPS fail during load test. All of the work is performed with level 4 suit on.
    Keep suit on while in front of UPS, even if covers are already removed. My experience, that UPS fail when nobody was touching the unit, so don't think that people are safe just because there are no more covers to remove or no more breakers to operate.

11. Join Date
    Jan 2022
    info

I think more information is needed before making a decision here. What switching would you be doing? Transferring to/from UPS battery, possibly maintenance bypass?

Subscribe

Share this thread