Follow Us

Omicron Test Equipment vs Others

Jump to latest post
    I NETA BREAK
    Omicron Test Equipment vs Others

I've recently went and visited an Omicron facility in Houston. We went for the line impedance testing abilities, but while we were there I was able to ask about what more they have available. Do y'all use Omicron and what test sets do y'all use? Thanks

3. gchoquette is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by NBatson View Post
    I've recently went and visited an Omicron facility in Houston. We went for the line impedance testing abilities, but while we were there I was able to ask about what more they have available. Do y'all use Omicron and what test sets do y'all use? Thanks
    I am familiar with most brands of test sets. Omicron is my favorite in terms of reliability, accuracy and their excellent software.
    They are a little strange looking and the software may also look intimidating (Test Universe), but it is very powerful to encompass any situation you may run into.

Some of their test sets like the CPC-100 (with most options) come in 5 transit cases, so they are very cumbersome, but they also replace many (I believe 24 different separate instruments). For transformer testing, the new Testrano will be easier to lug around. The CMC-356 relay test set is very popular worldwide. They sold 20,000 of them and there are a lot of relay test plans available.

It is possible to rent most of their models from the various rental companies. This way you can try before you buy.

I am not associated with Omicron. Just a personal opinion having used their products for about 6 years.

5. Stefan is offline Junior Member
    We use the cpc 100 for transformer testing. It's quite reliable and easy to use

7. wholland is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    We use the Omicron CTA for CT testing. Fast and intuitive for most CTs you will run across. Software is simple to use, and results are easy to decipher. Much preferred over EZ-CT2000B.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2019

I have a CMC-156 from 1997. It still runs the latest version of SW. My company has multiple Dobles. With Omicron, the SW licence allows you to install on any number of PC's. We just upgraded from Win 7 / W10 with new PCs. Have to go to Doble, request licence, etc. We have to pay additional $ annually for SW licences. In my opinion, there is no comparison between Omicron SW and Doble - Omicron wins.

We live in the North and trying to use a Doble under 32 Deg F is an exercise in futility. Omicron does not ground the neutrals of V or I outputs. If you are unlucky enough to have Doble wired up to FT Paddle and insert into live FT switch on a 87L relay, you may just trip the line out!! An Omicron CMC-356 is "bulletproof", a F6150 is fragile. Dobles claim of all this transient mode power is a bunch of hooey. It's there for a few cycle. Omicron can blast out max amps / power continuously.

Omicron Test Universe has been out for about 20 years, with great test modules, free test templates that load in relay settings and dedicated modules for complex relays like transformer differential. Doble has finally introduced V6 of their SW that addresses an 87T. Most Doble stuff relies on the user to develop their own equations to calculate test points.

We are a smaller company, so we pay $70k for an F6150 with SW. Our local utilities pay about $45k for the same.

We have had several issues with out brand new TRD-900, luckily while still in warranty. The transducers can fail due to spring fatigue.

We have had no problems with out M4000. Doble has been promising the new 3 ph test set for about 10 years. It's out, but not fully implemented. The CPC or Testrano can do the same, perhaps better in some respects, perhaps needing help in others. The latest version of DTA does offer decent graphical connection diagrams, but there have been mistakes in these diagrams in the past. Omicron still needs to get up to speed on templates for surge arresters, CCVT's, VT (Power Factor), Shunt Reactors, etc. You can test all of these with Omicron, but better have guidance other sources if you haven't done before. The Omicron PTM SW allows you to send pics from cell phone of nameplates easily back to Laptop on ground - that's pretty cool.

We have Omicron CT analyzer and Vanguard EZ-CT2000C. On a 3000:5, C800, the EZ CT takes about 11 minutes to do all taps, all tests. On Omicron the same is about 45 seconds. The EZ-CT is about 75lbs, the Omicron about 25.

We, unfortunately have customers that insist on telling us what test equipment to use. Imagine a client telling you to use Ford, Chevy or Dodge (or others). We are told to upload data to DTA Web, which sort of requires us to use Doble in many cases.

11. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    We, unfortunately have customers that insist on telling us what test equipment to use. Imagine a client telling you to use Ford, Chevy or Dodge (or others). We are told to upload data to DTA Web, which sort of requires us to use Doble in many cases.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the world of compliance. The record keepers want everything to look the same. Your name and date is no longer enough to say that it's okay for service.

13. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    I'm not a fan of the CT Analyzer since it interpolates excitation data. Technicians like it because it's faster, lighter & makes their jobs easier. As an engineer I despise it because it has the ability to create more issues.

I'm not completely sold on DFR theory, but the Dirana is easy to use and the software is intuitive.

15. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by amlawren View Post
    I'm not a fan of the CT Analyzer since it interpolates excitation data. Technicians like it because it's faster, lighter & makes their jobs easier. As an engineer I despise it because it has the ability to create more issues.

I'm not completely sold on DFR theory, but the Dirana is easy to use and the software is intuitive.
    What do you prefer? One of the old school ways was to use a CTER-91 and manually run the secondary voltage up and down but you still had to take down certain points to build a plot. We use a EZCT-2000C where I am at - it has it's pros and cons but it makes it easy to test a lot of CT's with a built test plan.

Canned test plans and automated tools can be a curse and a blessing. Depends on your point of view.

17. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by jblunt92482 View Post
    What do you prefer? One of the old school ways was to use a CTER-91 and manually run the secondary voltage up and down but you still had to take down certain points to build a plot. We use a EZCT-2000C where I am at - it has it's pros and cons but it makes it easy to test a lot of CT's with a built test plan.

Canned test plans and automated tools can be a curse and a blessing. Depends on your point of view.
    I much prefer the EZCT2000C+ over any of the test sets offered now a days.

I originally learned on the CTER-91, that unit never let me down. However, that would suck to use today with some customer procedures asking for excitation curves on every tap combination for a transformer with 50 BCTs.

Subscribe

Share this thread