Follow Us

Best meter to keep on hand?

Jump to latest post
    TrapFlyVenus is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Best meter to keep on hand?

Trying to buy a good meter that does it all for us. Amps,ground test, 1kv megger and anything else you guys can think of.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapFlyVenus View Post
    Trying to buy a good meter that does it all for us. Amps,ground test, 1kv megger and anything else you guys can think of.
    I don't think there is anything that will meet this criteria. I may be wrong, but I have not seen anything that would be satisfactory. You would be better off getting specific meters for each application

www.taifaengineering.com

5. jbozarth is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    I would grab a Fluke Multimeter and a megger.

7. rofo42 is offline Seasoned Member
    A Fluke 1587 and a Fluke 381 will take care of the 1kV insulation tester, multi meter and amperage testing requirements. A ground tester will need to be a separate piece of equipment.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Installation Tester

A multifunction Installation tester like this sounds like what you are asking about:
    https://www.aemc.com/products/multi-function-testers/

These are not as common in the USA but used quite often in Europe. It has an integrated ground tester, 1kV megohmmeter and common voltage current options and can generate a report. You can also use it to test tripping of ground fault devices. it will save your results and then you can generate a report.

11. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jbozarth View Post
    I would grab a Fluke Multimeter and a megger.
    This is what I use both Fluke and Megger i have yet to run into a devices that does all those functions and has the accuracy that is required.

13. Join Date
    Sep 2019
    I don't know of a meter that covers everything you are looking for. Even if one exists I would be cautious of the safety and reliability. Not to mention, the whole putting all your eggs in one basket thing.

I like the Fluke 87V. I have also used the Fluke 787 because I needed voltage output for testing and calibration.

Subscribe

Share this thread