Follow Us

Taking a NETA exam without everyday resources

Jump to latest post
  1. ecubed is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Taking a NETA exam without everyday resources

Can someone please explain the logic behind taking a NETA exam without being given the everyday resources we have in the field? When we take the JW or Master electrician exam, we are allowed to use the code book. This is because it is always readily available and a good electrician needs to know how to reference items out of it. NEC, NFPA 70, MTS and ATS are not meant to be memorized. We, as NETA technicians, just need to know how to reference items out them and how to interpolate results based on our experience.

If you ignore it, it will fail.
    Seasoned Member
    You are preaching to the choir Ecubed. We have all been down that road and the testing comity will not budge on this one. The test used to be a take home test. They actually mailed the test to you and then you mailed it back for grading. Times have changed but they still will not let you use any resources during the exam.

Quote Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
    Can someone please explain the logic behind taking a NETA exam without being given the everyday resources we have in the field? When we take the JW or Master electrician exam, we are allowed to use the code book. This is because it is always readily available and a good electrician needs to know how to reference items out of it. NEC, NFPA 70, MTS and ATS are not meant to be memorized. We, as NETA technicians, just need to know how to reference items out them and how to interpolate results based on our experience.
    Warren Garber
    Have a great day!

5. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    I think one of the biggest points here is that NETA and NICET only want the best to be certified at the appropriate level. Not everyone will make it past level 1, or 2, or 3. We definitely don't "just need to know how to reference". I don't have time to check books every time I have questions, so I need to know as much as possible and the same goes for my coworkers. These tests aren't made so that everyone passes, but so that the ones who are smart enough prove themselves and earn it.

And that's why there is this awesome site to use! I have been using this site for years now to prepare for the different exams and it has been just what I needed.

7. jbozarth is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    My college classes were different as well. Some would let us bring notes/book and others would make us memorize. Temporary memorization for a test isn't as useful as knowing the where to and how to solve an answer. The logic is dated and not forward thinking.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    I agree the set up for the test seems idiotic, they are testing memorization not knowledge of testing equipment. Relying on your memory out in the field is easy way to make mistakes. I would rather have people look up the testing procedures and test values to make sure they are doing the test correctly then having to retest things because they forgot a step or tested at the wrong voltage level.

11. mmacdonell is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Frustrating

I couldn't agree more and what's even more frustrating is the amount of content referencing NEC, NFPA, OSHA etc. This is the INTERNATIONAL Electrical Testing Association. I live and work in Canada and would never use these resources on the job. There are no references to the Canadian Electrical Code or European and thank goodness but I say leave these national codes out of it and keep it NETA.

Subscribe

Share this thread