Follow Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you Defeat Ground Fault with Primary Injection on Eaton 310+? Trip Unit

Jump to latest post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Kimbo Slice is offline Member Pro Subscriber
    How do you Defeat Ground Fault with Primary Injection on Eaton 310+? Trip Unit

Does anyone know how to defeat ground fault on these trip units during primary injection? I know you can series the contacts but that is a pain. Im wondering if there is wires to jumper or a switch that is not not seen. Any help is appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	310+ Trip Unit.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	409
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 310+ Trip Unit.jpg  

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo Slice View Post
    Does anyone know how to defeat ground fault on these trip units during primary injection? I know you can series the contacts but that is a pain. Im wondering if there is wires to jumper or a switch that is not not seen. Any help is appreciated.

There is the easy method of using the Functional Test Kit to defeat ground fault, but it sounds like you don't have the secondary test unit handy. The second method is very difficult, since the ground fault wiring is on the backside of the actual trip unit which allows for selection of GF tripping, GF Alarm, and accessory switches. This would require removing the trip unit from the breaker to see the backside. I personally never tried this, but was told by a Eaton Rep that this does exist. IL012001EN.pdf

As always the sure fire way is to short out the line/load side and connect your test set up to 2 separate load/line side phases.

5. Kimbo Slice is offline Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    There is the easy method of using the Functional Test Kit to defeat ground fault, but it sounds like you don't have the secondary test unit handy. The second method is very difficult, since the ground fault wiring is on the backside of the actual trip unit which allows for selection of GF tripping, GF Alarm, and accessory switches. This would require removing the trip unit from the breaker to see the backside. I personally never tried this, but was told by a Eaton Rep that this does exist. IL012001EN.pdf

As always the sure fire way is to short out the line/load side and connect your test set up to 2 separate load/line side phases.
    I have all secondary test sets available. Does the MKTST230V do it? Im not to familiar with that test set. We have it though.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Use the secondary set, this thread may help: https://testguy.net/threads/5847-Eas...310-trip-units

I have all secondary test sets available. Does the MKTST230V do it? Im not to familiar with that test set. We have it though.

If you ignore it, it will fail.
    Seasoned Member
    Secondary Kit User Manual Page 7

It says on page 7 of the Instruction Leaflet IL5721B13H07 for the secondary test kit that you must first turn off the ground fault function before secondary testing so I would assume that there is a ground fault defeat switch. That is the test set that has a different card for each trip unit with a dial and a push button. If I remember correctly there is a module that you plug in line that has a button that defeats ground fault. Below is from page 7. Hope this helps.

"Digitrip 310+
    Digitrip 310+ Circuit Breakers Test Procedure
    Setup
    Before testing, write down all settings in use so that they may be
    restored after tests are completed.
    To begin testing;
    1. Connect the Digitrip 310+ cable assembly (style 5721B14) into
    the side connector of the handheld unit. Plug the other end of
    the cable into the test port.
    Note: The test plug may be covered by a “dummy connector” used to
    protect the test plug pins during shipment. Ease the dummy connector
    off using a screw driver to expose the male test pins underneath.
    2. Position Trip/No Trip switch on cable assembly to the Trip position
    and set the Ground Fault switch to the “Off” position."

Attached Files Attached Files
    Warren Garber
    Have a great day!

11. Kimbo Slice is offline Member Pro Subscriber
    This is the test set I have. I wasnt sure if it worked with primary injection though? I will find out tomorrow. I also have an RG frame breaker that was giving me all sorts of problems with Ground Fault not tripping. It is the same as in the pic that SecondGen linked. If Im reading the responses correctly it seems I just got to hook up the secondary set to the trip unit and trun the Ground Fault switch to off? Seems simple enough. If that doesn't work for the RG frame I will try what SecondGen linked

"You can use the EATON Functional Test Kit to provide the 310 and 310+ trip unit with adequate sensing power for a single pole ground fault test. Simply turn the dial on the test kit to "Power Up" and hold down the "Push to test" button during your primary injection test."

Name:	Eaton Test Set.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	412

If you ignore it, it will fail.
    Seasoned Member

This is the test set I have. I wasnt sure if it worked with primary injection though? I will find out tomorrow. I also have an RG frame breaker that was giving me all sorts of problems with Ground Fault not tripping. It is the same as in the pic that SecondGen linked. If Im reading the responses correctly it seems I just got to hook up the secondary set to the trip unit and trun the Ground Fault switch to off? Seems simple enough. If that doesn't work for the RG frame I will try what SecondGen linked

"You can use the EATON Functional Test Kit to provide the 310 and 310+ trip unit with adequate sensing power for a single pole ground fault test. Simply turn the dial on the test kit to "Power Up" and hold down the "Push to test" button during your primary injection test."

Name:	Eaton Test Set.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	412
    Warren Garber
    Have a great day!

Level 3 Certified Button Pusher

I used this test set for primary injection pretty recently. I had the additional ground fault on/off adapter plugged into the 310 unit, but it didn't function as I would imagine. With the ground fault switch in the off position, the breaker wouldn't trip at all. You could see the power light on the trip unit come on, and I could never get long time to function.. I can't recall if I got any other functions to trip or not.

My solution was to not even bother calling the rental company we got it from and just go in and out to defeat ground fault. It was already a hellish position on a skid that barely allowed a PI1600 on a cart inside of, and only one way in and out, so operating the test set, and dealing with that finicky and delicate plug in for that unit was a PITA.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectK View Post
    I used this test set for primary injection pretty recently. I had the additional ground fault on/off adapter plugged into the 310 unit, but it didn't function as I would imagine. With the ground fault switch in the off position, the breaker wouldn't trip at all. You could see the power light on the trip unit come on, and I could never get long time to function.. I can't recall if I got any other functions to trip or not.

My solution was to not even bother calling the rental company we got it from and just go in and out to defeat ground fault. It was already a hellish position on a skid that barely allowed a PI1600 on a cart inside of, and only one way in and out, so operating the test set, and dealing with that finicky and delicate plug in for that unit was a PITA.
    Did you have the other switch set to "Trip"? Also need to set the dial on the unit to "Power Up" and then push the test button to send power/signal to the unit while simultaneously pushing current with the primary set.

Level 3 Certified Button Pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    Did you have the other switch set to "Trip"? Also need to set the dial on the unit to "Power Up" and then push the test button to send power/signal to the unit while simultaneously pushing current with the primary set.
    Right.. pretty simple little unit. It had been some years in between this occasion since using it, and I recalled it functioning correctly those other times..those other times, that company tried to own everything and ensure it functioned ahead of being in the field, instead of getting something rented and shipped in at the last minute..which was exremely frustrating being on a site projected to last over a decade.

There were a lot of mitigating circumstances in this situation to cause a rush to get it done scenario without the secondary unit functioning properly..not a huge fan of going in and out, especially when the client requires all functions on all phases, but we managed.

Only posted my response to OP on the off chance it was a similar situation to mine last spring..a secondary unit shouldn't be an Achilles' heal to test a breaker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe

Share this thread