Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Building fundamental knowledge of Relay Protection

Jump to latest post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2019
    Building fundamental knowledge of Relay Protection

Hey all,

So I've been placed in the Relay team at work and have been at it for nearly 2 months. The most notable work experience so far has been terminating a Line panel w/ SEL-421 relays and the breaker it protects, a 34kV GE(from the 90's). I witnessed some End to End testing of said relays, hooked up some SCADA alarm wires etc.

Lately I've been helping with a Digital Fault Recorder system that monitors PT's and CT's inside the Utilities house at various substations. Interesting stuff.

I've bought "The Relay Testing Handbook" and am reading it to get more familiar with the different elements and how to test them. Also reading the Art and Science of Protective Relaying, although it's a little over my head right now.

I imagine I won't be set loose on any Relays in the field any time soon as I'm so new, but I figure at least I may try to understand whats going on while the other techs are commissioning/testing them.

Do you have any thoughts/links/books as to what I should be consuming to build a fundamental knowledge of Relay Protection? Note, (plant/industrial)electrician with 14 years experience just started in Utilities.

My study list so far:
    CT's/PT's: ratios, connections,
    Breakers: Understanding the control circuits, basic operations
    Utility Substations: Identifying items on one line and field, power sources
    Relays: Communicating to them, relay logic, settings, protection zones, protective elements

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I use to be disgusted, now I'm just amused!
    Relay Info

Quote Originally Posted by cotton View Post
    Hey all,

So I've been placed in the Relay team at work and have been at it for nearly 2 months. The most notable work experience so far has been terminating a Line panel w/ SEL-421 relays and the breaker it protects, a 34kV GE(from the 90's). I witnessed some End to End testing of said relays, hooked up some SCADA alarm wires etc.

Lately I've been helping with a Digital Fault Recorder system that monitors PT's and CT's inside the Utilities house at various substations. Interesting stuff.

I've bought "The Relay Testing Handbook" and am reading it to get more familiar with the different elements and how to test them. Also reading the Art and Science of Protective Relaying, although it's a little over my head right now.

I imagine I won't be set loose on any Relays in the field any time soon as I'm so new, but I figure at least I may try to understand whats going on while the other techs are commissioning/testing them.

Do you have any thoughts/links/books as to what I should be consuming to build a fundamental knowledge of Relay Protection? Note, (plant/industrial)electrician with 14 years experience just started in Utilities.

My study list so far:
    Relays: Communicating to them, relay logic, settings, protection zones, protective elements

Well "cotton;11001", you are in a pretty good spot for picking up info on relay and substation equipment. As you dig around in the "Explore TestGuy" links, videos and articles you can always find hidden gems and new directions to expand your knowledge base. Use the senior techs you work with for information and testing procedures. The one person I think who taught me the most was an apprentice that would not take "That's just how you do it!" as an answer. I had to stop and think about my actions and what info I was sharing with this person. Did I help them with this info or do they think I'm just blowing smoke. Never miss a chance to learn something new or share a learning opportunity.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2019
    another good read

The relay testing handbook principles and practice author Chris Werstiuk is great! another one is the electric power equipment maintenance and testing book (I have the second edition maybe there is a third out by now) by Paul Gill. Good reads.

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by wightywest View Post
    The relay testing handbook principles and practice author Chris Werstiuk is great! another one is the electric power equipment maintenance and testing book (I have the second edition maybe there is a third out by now) by Paul Gill. Good reads.
    Chris Werstiuk also has a online training courses:
    https://relaytraining.com/online-pro...y-training-v3/

He also has a youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ValenceETS/featured

I was lucky enough to see him give a seminar at Hands-on Relay School. It was interesting how he went from straight Calculus (nobody in the room had experience with Calculus) to basic vector math to explain 3-phase fault analysis. I learned more in that hour than any other course I've been through. I just wish I had his powerpoint slide to refresh my memory from time to time.

Gsharpes is offline Junior Member
    Chris Werstiuk - Presentations

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    Chris Werstiuk also has a online training courses:
    https://relaytraining.com/online-pro...y-training-v3/

He also has a youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ValenceETS/featured

I was lucky enough to see him give a seminar at Hands-on Relay School. It was interesting how he went from straight Calculus (nobody in the room had experience with Calculus) to basic vector math to explain 3-phase fault analysis. I learned more in that hour than any other course I've been through. I just wish I had his powerpoint slide to refresh my memory from time to time.
    Rob,

I have attached links to the two presentations that Chris has recently done at Hands on Relay School. I will also link to the archive for the past 7 years of HRS lectures. Not all of them are available but the committee has been trying to be better about making sure we have copies available on the website. Hope you are able to once again attend school in the future.

Thanks,
    Greg

https://www.eiseverywhere.com/file_u...RS_End-End.pdf

https://www.eiseverywhere.com/file_u...isWerstiuk.pdf

https://www.cm.wsu.edu/ehome/hrs/756931/

Riddle me this Batman
    basic relay learning

the relay testing handbook is excellent and get on Chris's web site and follow his info and a good place to ask questions, i'll dig up some training and post it, GH

Quote Originally Posted by cotton View Post
    Hey all,

My study list so far:

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Wow, what a great collection of resources in this thread! You have the substation fundamentals down, Art and Science of Protective Relaying would be my recommendation as well for relay theory. I'd recommend starting to play with old electromechanical relays if you can, also try and look up some old school user manuals on basic voltage and current relays. Hands-on is always going to be your best friend, see if you can get paired up with any of the relay guys at your shop. AVO offers some good basic relay classes too. Good luck!

15. Join Date
    May 2019
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. I went on a download spree of all the presentations from the Hands On Relay school and am working my way through the beginner themed stuff! Also, the youtube vids are a godsend. I've already got a litany of questions for the techs and leads at work. Here's to hoping I can meter them out slowly enough to not piss them off!

Cheers

17. Join Date
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
    the relay testing handbook is excellent and get on Chris's web site and follow his info and a good place to ask questions, i'll dig up some training and post it, GH
    Yes I've bought those books and making my way through them! They are great.

19. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Thanks for the resource list this has really helped with my relay knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe

Share this thread