Follow Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Circuit Breaker Simulator

Jump to latest post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. evan003 is offline Junior Member
    Circuit Breaker Simulator

Does any have or use a CB simulator during functional relay testing? Haven't had much luck looking else wear online. If you do, can you provide any details you have?

Thank you

I use to be disgusted, now I'm just amused!
    CB Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by evan003 View Post
    Does any have or use a CB simulator during functional relay testing? Haven't had much luck looking else wear online. If you do, can you provide any details you have?

Thank you
    How complicated is the functional testing you are working on? For a single breaker operation, using a latching ice-cube relay may be all you would need to prove your logic. Sit down with the schematics for what you are testing and come up with a game plan. Find a relay with operate coils that will match your control voltage and the required number of NO & NC contacts. You can make this as simple or complicated as you like. If you do a lot of this type testing, make it durable and repeatable. The main thing is have fun and learn from the experience. I have been involved with end-to-end functional testing that required a PLC to simulate all the crap going on during a fault. Pulled a lot of hair out, put learned a lot about the systems!

Gsharpes is offline Junior Member
    SEL-2411 Is Option

Thank you

We have been using SEL-2411's as breaker simulators. I also have a schematic for a home built one we use at Hands on Relay School if you would be interested in that. Let me know and I can get you the 2411 settings file.

Thanks,
    Greg

7. gchoquette is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    CB Simulator by Zensol

Thank you
    The companies that rent CB test equipment use CB simulators regularly. They are necessary to re-test the equipment at every rental.

One such simulator was made by Doble many years ago, but I understand that it is no longer available.

The Canadian company Zensol makes them now, but they are not cheap.
    https://www.zensol.com/product/circu...lator-sim-cb6/

You can also simply buy an old breaker that is still functional and use that instead of a simulator. You will be limited to the specific characteristics of that one breaker.

Hope this helps.

George

9. Join Date
    Oct 2019

Thank you
    I use them for functional testing, a spare microprocessor relay can be programmed for one or you can use aux relays.

11. Join Date
    Nov 2019

Thank you
    We are using circuit breaker simulator for our relay training program, not used for test and commissioning yet.
    I developed cbs with plc at last year. Now, i start to rebuild it. I added auto reclose function and increased output voltage 24dc to 110v dc.
    This is an old photo.
    https://eksiup.com/p/p2289837umid

13. garcia is offline Junior Member
    Breaker simulator

Quote Originally Posted by Gsharpes View Post
    We have been using SEL-2411's as breaker simulators. I also have a schematic for a home built one we use at Hands on Relay School if you would be interested in that. Let me know and I can get you the 2411 settings file.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Hey Greg, if you can do you think you can send me those 2411 settings? I'm currently trying to implement a simulator using a 2440 and anything would help email eduardoj.aicrag@gmail.com

15. Join Date
    Apr 2017

Thanks,
    Greg
    I would love to see that 2411 settings file!

Thanks,
    Spencer

Riddle me this Batman

Thank you
    yes, many utilities request use of simulator to minimize breaker operations
    i have used an old 86/lockout relay, or a S&D latching relay, there are a couple to can buy but are expensive, i.e. The Barrington Model CBS (Circuit Breaker Simulator) was designed to be a convenient, lightweight alternative to operating high-voltage circuit breakers while testing the operation of substation protection relays.

19. Rlyapp is offline Junior Member
    Breaker Simulator

Thanks,
    Greg

Hello all, I am a Relay apprentice and am interested in scheme and settings for breaker simulator thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe

Share this thread