Follow Us

Keeping NETA Certification

Jump to latest post
    Level 3 Certified Button Pusher
    Keeping NETA Certification

I’m currently on the job market, but I may go to a non-NETA company.

I could possibly have my grandfather hold my certification, but I hate getting help from any family.

I know I’ll need to get my CEU’s each year, but how long will my level 3 certification last if it’s not held by a NETA company?

I’ve heard 5 years, 2 years, and even 1 year...but I think that guy was an idiot and didn’t get his credits.

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectK View Post
    I’m currently on the job market, but I may go to a non-NETA company.

I could possibly have my grandfather hold my certification, but I hate getting help from any family.

I know I’ll need to get my CEU’s each year, but how long will my level 3 certification last if it’s not held by a NETA company?

I’ve heard 5 years, 2 years, and even 1 year...but I think that guy was an idiot and didn’t get his credits.
    From my experience, and reading the IEEE/ANSI ETT Standard for Certification:

Certificate shall be valid for a specific time period, not to exceed three years.

I was previously certified NETA III and went back to school (for BSEE) for just over 3 years, when I came back they dropped me to a NETA II when i re-applied due to not maintaining proper CEU credits, but they maintained NETA II since I obtained a degree as described to me by NETA organization reps. Reinstatement is based on a case by case basis and my not be the same for somebody else.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    From my experience, and reading the IEEE/ANSI ETT Standard for Certification:

Certificate shall be valid for a specific time period, not to exceed three years.

I was previously certified NETA III and went back to school (for BSEE) for just over 3 years, when I came back they dropped me to a NETA II when i re-applied due to not maintaining proper CEU credits, but they maintained NETA II since I obtained a degree as described to me by NETA organization reps. Reinstatement is based on a case by case basis and my not be the same for somebody else.
    A friend of mine is going through a similar situation. He moved to a non-NETA company who is trying to get accrediation and he might need to re-certify because he can't prove any valid CEU credits over the past couple of years. My advice for anyone who wants to keep their NETA cert after leaving an accredited company would be to plan on shelling out some decent money each year to keep your credits up.

Level 3 Certified Button Pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    A friend of mine is going through a similar situation. He moved to a non-NETA company who is trying to get accrediation and he might need to re-certify because he can't prove any valid CEU credits over the past couple of years. My advice for anyone who wants to keep their NETA cert after leaving an accredited company would be to plan on shelling out some decent money each year to keep your credits up.
    Thank you both for the response.

I definitely planned to do the required CEU’s, but mostly I planned on doing AVO webinars. They provide one credit for most courses in the emails I see from them.

I also thought it was 40 CEU/CTD’s a year, but it’s actually 48.

I guess I could’ve found this eventually..lol VvVvVvVvV
    From NETA world website.
    Q. How can I make sure that I am recertified?

A. Technicians who are a certified Level 2, 3, or 4 technician are offered three methods to recertify every three years.

1. Earn the requisite number of Continuing Technical Development (CTD) credits.
    2. Retake the current level of certification.
    3. Advance to the next level of certification by meeting all requirements and passing that exam.
    So by that, all you have to do is prove your CTD’s after being gone for three years?

That makes more sense. I never understood the concept of punishing someone for getting a better opportunity than they had at their NETA accredited company...or if they were severely injured or similar.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectK View Post
    So by that, all you have to do is prove your CTD’s after being gone for three years?
    Based on what it says on the NETA site I would think all you need to do is prove your credits in order to "re-certify" every three years and you could work non-NETA as long as you'd like. Once you go back to a NETA company you should be able to pick up where you left off. That's my interpretation at least...

I think you can earn a large majority of the required credits by attending the PowerTest conference every year. Webinars would probably make up the difference.

11. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    Based on what it says on the NETA site I would think all you need to do is prove your credits in order to "re-certify" every three years and you could work non-NETA as long as you'd like. Once you go back to a NETA company you should be able to pick up where you left off. That's my interpretation at least...

I think you can earn a large majority of the required credits by attending the PowerTest conference every year. Webinars would probably make up the difference.
    We called NETA regarding this due to us starting a new company that is currently not NETA accredited (2 year waiting period). We were told that you have 3 years from the date of your last certification. If you move to a non NETA company, and your 3 run out during your time at a non NETA firm, then you will lose your NETA certification. It is linked to the company you are working for.

www.taifaengineering.com

13. diseldorf is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    Maintaining NETA certification

In order to maintain NETA certification not only must you complete the required CEU’s but you must also be employed by a NETA member company. You can not work non-NETA and keep your certification. The CEU’s earned when employed non-NETA do not extend your certification. If you have a fresh certification, complete the required number of CEU’s for your certification level, and are employed non-NETA past 3 years you will lose one level of certification each time they would of been due had you been employed by a NETA member company. I speak from experience.

Subscribe

Share this thread