Follow Us

Metering Percent of Accuracy

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    May 2016
    Metering Percent of Accuracy

A given voltmeter has an accuracy of 7.5% and can read 150V at full scale, what could be said for such meter?

So wouldnt it be at any range still same %?

If you ignore it, it will fail.
    Seasoned Member
    I am not sure what the choices were for the question but you can probably expect that given the information that is talking about an analog meter. If the meter is 7.5% off at full scale then it is not very accurate at lower readings of full scale. If the meter is off by 7.5% at 150v, full scale, then if a target is 150v the meter could read as high as 161.25 or as low as 138.75. The 11.25v delta is constant through the voltage scale so reading a 100v target you could read 88.75v to 111.25v and still be in the accuracy of the meter. So if you are trying to read a voltage of something that is only 20v your deviation could be greater then 50% and still be within the accuracy of the meter.
    The rule is to get the most accurate reading you should stay in the upper 2/3 of your scale. I am not sure if that helps but that is the way it was explained to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rasilva View Post
    A given voltmeter has an accuracy of 7.5% and can read 150V at full scale, what could be said for such meter?

Warren Garber
    Have a great day!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrengarber View Post
    I am not sure what the choices were for the question but you can probably expect that given the information that is talking about an analog meter. If the meter is 7.5% off at full scale then it is not very accurate at lower readings of full scale. If the meter is off by 7.5% at 150v, full scale, then if a target is 150v the meter could read as high as 161.25 or as low as 138.75. The 11.25v delta is constant through the voltage scale so reading a 100v target you could read 88.75v to 111.25v and still be in the accuracy of the meter. So if you are trying to read a voltage of something that is only 20v your deviation could be greater then 50% and still be within the accuracy of the meter.
    The rule is to get the most accurate reading you should stay in the upper 2/3 of your scale. I am not sure if that helps but that is the way it was explained to me.
    Warren is absolutely correct.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rasilva View Post

Just seen this question as 7.5% At full scale. Would be 7.5/.5 At half scale 15%err or 7.5/.75 for Three quarter scale 10%err

Subscribe

Share this thread