Follow Us

Exam permitted materials

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    May 2019
    Exam permitted materials

What, if any, reference material is allowed when sitting a NETA test exam. Can you bring ATS/MTS, NFPA 70/E, etc?

I know there is a Calculator on screen and a formula sheet, so I'm not worried about working out math problems. I just have a hard time remembering code numbers from standards.

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by cotton View Post
    What, if any, reference material is allowed when sitting a NETA test exam. Can you bring ATS/MTS, NFPA 70/E, etc?

I know there is a Calculator on screen and a formula sheet, so I'm not worried about working out math problems. I just have a hard time remembering code numbers from standards.
    Pearson Testing Labs are pretty strict. They require you to empty your pockets and put everything in a locker, then pull your pockets out before you can go back to the testing area. The only items you are allowed is a laminated piece of paper, an erasable marker, and earplugs provided by Pearson. The exam calculator is a TI-36X (displayed on the screen), which is the same FE and PE engineers use on their exams which is a step up from the crappy one from previous years. It also allows for phasor and vector math if you know how to use it. Along with the two equation sheets.

One of our techs will make a cheat sheet to study prior to entering the exam, then once he sits down, writes down everything he can remember on the scratch sheet.

5. Join Date
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    Pearson Testing Labs are pretty strict. They require you to empty your pockets and put everything in a locker, then pull your pockets out before you can go back to the testing area. The only items you are allowed is a laminated piece of paper, an erasable marker, and earplugs provided by Pearson. The exam calculator is a TI-36X (displayed on the screen), which is the same FE and PE engineers use on their exams which is a step up from the crappy one from previous years. It also allows for phasor and vector math if you know how to use it. Along with the two equation sheets.

One of our techs will make a cheat sheet to study prior to entering the exam, then once he sits down, writes down everything he can remember on the scratch sheet.
    Thanks, looks like I'll have to start some memory training! And the cheat sheet to scratch sheet is a great idea, appreciate it!

Thanks, looks like I'll have to start some memory training! And the cheat sheet to scratch sheet is a great idea, appreciate it!
    Just a question cotton, you do know that you cannot even sign up for a NETA exam unless a NETA affiliated company representative submits your name into the NETA office for approval. This in turn allows NETA to send you a log-in to Pearson Vue testing to apply (purchase) for a NETA exam. This allows NETA to verify through your NETA employer that you meet the minimum requirements for the various NETA Level Exams.

9. Join Date
    May 2019
    Just a question cotton, you do know that you cannot even sign up for a NETA exam unless a NETA affiliated company representative submits your name into the NETA office for approval. This in turn allows NETA to send you a log-in to Pearson Vue testing to apply (purchase) for a NETA exam. This allows NETA to verify through your NETA employer that you meet the minimum requirements for the various NETA Level Exams.
    Yes, I'm aware that I won't be able to sit the exam until my employer and NETA say so. I want to understand the material well enough to pass on the first attempt, at the earliest opportunity. Also having a working theoretical knowledge will help in the interview. Thanks!

Yes, I'm aware that I won't be able to sit the exam until my employer and NETA say so. I want to understand the material well enough to pass on the first attempt, at the earliest opportunity. Also having a working theoretical knowledge will help in the interview. Thanks!
    Well, depending on where you are, I know a couple companies in dire need of bodies. Essentially they will take anybody with a pulse and can be taught, wouldn't be a bad start. Obviously if your interested shoot me an email.

13. Join Date
    May 2019
    Well, depending on where you are, I know a couple companies in dire need of bodies. Essentially they will take anybody with a pulse and can be taught, wouldn't be a bad start. Obviously if your interested shoot me an email.
    Thanks Rob,

I'm in Louisiana, and have got to stay put (for the wife's family). I should have something lined up after summer. That being said, if your influence stretches this far, I'd be open to any door-openings!

Thanks Rob,

I'm in Louisiana, and have got to stay put (for the wife's family). I should have something lined up after summer. That being said, if your influence stretches this far, I'd be open to any door-openings!
    Unfortunately all the companies I know that work in Louisiana are based out of Houston or Dallas, depending on which end of LA you live on. Houston companies work alot on the oil plants in Southern LA like Vertiv, Shermco, and ABM. Best of luck on your endeavors, you can always go to NETAworld.org and look up the companies located near you. Most NETA companies are always looking for fresh help with some electrical experience. Once you get NETA III it is impossible to not find a company that will want you.

17. jbozarth is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber

How big was this cheat sheet if you remember?

Quote Originally Posted by jbozarth View Post
    How big was this cheat sheet if you remember?
    I imagine each facility is different. The one I went to gave me a 8" x 11" whiteboard with a dry erase marker with attached eraser.

Subscribe

Share this thread