Follow Us

ANSI/IEEE Device Numbers on NETA II Exam

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2019
    ANSI/IEEE Device Numbers on NETA II Exam

Hi everyone,

What are the key device numbers to have memorized for the NETA Level II Exam

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Woodward View Post
    Hi everyone,

I would definitely try to review the function of each and determine which ones you would most likely see in a substation or industrial switchboard. I attached two documents that should help you study. I highlighted ones that are most common, but I'm sure I even missed one or two that could be relevant.
    ANSI_IEEE_DeviceFunctionNumber.pdf
    C58 Relay Device #s and functions.pdf

5. Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbi_Rob View Post
    I would definitely try to review the function of each and determine which ones you would most likely see in a substation or industrial switchboard. I attached two documents that should help you study. I highlighted ones that are most common, but I'm sure I even missed one or two that could be relevant.
    ANSI_IEEE_DeviceFunctionNumber.pdf
    C58 Relay Device #s and functions.pdf
    Thanks Rob! Much appreciated

7. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Hi everyone,

It's good to remember as many as possible because they can throw anything at you. I've seen questions that reference items by device number and your expected to know what it is in order to solve the larger question.

You should try the ansi device quiz on testguy a few times, it helped me remember alot.

9. Join Date
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by samair99 View Post
    It's good to remember as many as possible because they can throw anything at you. I've seen questions that reference items by device number and your expected to know what it is in order to solve the larger question.

You should try the ansi device quiz on testguy a few times, it helped me remember alot.
    Does the exam provide a list or standard to reference? Or are you expected to have it memorized?

Quote Originally Posted by cotton View Post
    Does the exam provide a list or standard to reference? Or are you expected to have it memorized?
    As a NETA III, you should have experience with relays according to the test writers. That being said, it is expected you know the numbers from memory for the test.

13. rofo42 is offline Seasoned Member
    21, 24, 25, 27, 32, 43, 49, 50, 51, 52, 59, 67, 72, 79, 81, 87

I would at least have these memorized. Start paying attention to the schematics laying around at any job or device numbers posted on switchgear covers, relays etc. It's actually pretty important to have these in your head. Also, its equally important to have a general idea of how each device operates and what role it plays in protection.

Hi everyone,

This gives a good list of relays to know and how to test each element specifically as to what they sense.

https://testguy.net/content/290-Prot...-Element-Tests

If you ignore it, it will fail.
    Seasoned Member
    I found an app called Quizlet that helped me learn the device numbers. I created a prep quiz in the app for called ANSI Device Numbers that is open to everybody. I t really helped me with memorizing the the device numbers. There are other tests on there that will help also. Good luck.

Hi everyone,

Warren Garber
    Have a great day!

Subscribe

Share this thread