Follow Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Always check the arc flash rating sticker

Jump to latest post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Always check the arc flash rating sticker

Always check the arc flash rating sticker located on the equipment to determine proper PPE needed to open, inspect, or work on equipment. If there isn't an arc flash rating sticker assigned to that equipment; the technician should refer to NFPA 70E before moving forward.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by romeroduke View Post
    Always check the arc flash rating sticker located on the equipment to determine proper PPE needed to open, inspect, or work on equipment. If there isn't an arc flash rating sticker assigned to that equipment; the technician should refer to NFPA 70E before moving forward.
    What do you guys do when you find a label that says "Dangerous! No Safe PPE exists"?

NICET Level I (ID: 150100)
    NICET Level 1 Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by samair99 View Post
    What do you guys do when you find a label that says "Dangerous! No Safe PPE exists"?
    Funny you bring that up. A particular hospital that we do work for in NYC does not allow that signage or verbiage and will actually remove the pages from their arc flash analysis when this condition exists (which is quite common, as the utility coming in in manhattan contributes around 200kA of fault current.

It was explained to me that by posting the "Dangerous! No Safe PPE exists" labels they cannot allow their in-house or any contracted electrician to operate a switch on that board. By removing that label, the person operating the switch is responsible for determining the appropriate PPE levels.

This brings up a newly arising issue. With the availability of 200kAIC rated circuit breakers, much more distribution will be subject to higher fault currents. With the insane cost of real estate in NYC, many sites are moving away from switch and fuse and going with breakers. By doing this they can significantly reduce the footprint of some switchboards.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Explain to the customer that we are not allowed to open that while its live. If they want us to IR scan it they should install IR windows.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2018
    No Safe PPE

We will note the equipment I.D. and calorie level and notify customer that we cannot safely access that equipment without de-energizing it. Recommend to the customer to consider upgrading the current protection of that circuit in order to reduce fault clearing time which will reduce calorie level.

11. Join Date
    Aug 2019
    NFPA 7070E

Quote Originally Posted by Jrmcritical View Post
    Funny you bring that up. A particular hospital that we do work for in NYC does not allow that signage or verbiage and will actually remove the pages from their arc flash analysis when this condition exists (which is quite common, as the utility coming in in manhattan contributes around 200kA of fault current.

It was explained to me that by posting the "Dangerous! No Safe PPE exists" labels they cannot allow their in-house or any contracted electrician to operate a switch on that board. By removing that label, the person operating the switch is responsible for determining the appropriate PPE levels.

This brings up a newly arising issue. With the availability of 200kAIC rated circuit breakers, much more distribution will be subject to higher fault currents. With the insane cost of real estate in NYC, many sites are moving away from switch and fuse and going with breakers. By doing this they can significantly reduce the footprint of some switchboards.
    Someone needs to inform this customer of the standards, if they take that stance and someone gets hurt, they are liable!They are required to provide accurate information for service personnel, they cannot allow service personnel to guess.

(D) Equipment Labeling. Electrical equipment such as switchboards, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures, and motor control centers that are in other than dwelling units and that are likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall be field-marked with a label containing all the following information:

(1) Nominal system voltage
    (2) Arc flash boundary
    (3) At least one of the following:
    a. Available incident energy and the corresponding working distance, or the arc flash PPE category in Table 130.7(C)(15)(A)(b) or Table 130.7(C)(15)(B) for the equipment, but not both
    b. Minimum arc rating of clothing
    c. Site-specific level of PPE

13. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    My company just ordered a 100 cal suit for one of our employees to infrared scan something. I believe he said the arc flash rating was actually higher than this, but he was willing to do it with the new suit. Guess sometimes it's up the employee and how much they trust the equipment they are working with/on.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeam01 View Post
    My company just ordered a 100 cal suit for one of our employees to infrared scan something. I believe he said the arc flash rating was actually higher than this, but he was willing to do it with the new suit. Guess sometimes it's up the employee and how much they trust the equipment they are working with/on.
    100 Cal suit?! That's like bomb squad level crazy, the shockwave alone would probably disrupt your organs and knock you 10' back on your keister. Not sure I would go for that.

17. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Yes, he acknowledged at that point he really wasn't that protected from an actual fault anyway, but the company bought it, so I think they kind of called his bluff. He's not one to back down from a job anyway.

The hood is neat, has the fans on it.

19. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    100 Cal suit?! That's like bomb squad level crazy, the shockwave alone would probably disrupt your organs and knock you 10' back on your keister. Not sure I would go for that.
    We recently purchased a 100 Cal suit, and use it for opening switchgear (primarily) during arc flash analysis projects, when we're gathering data. The fans in the hood really are great, but it's still like wearing an oven mitt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe

Share this thread