Follow Us

Battery Bank Maintenance

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Battery Bank Maintenance

Hey there, I was hoping to get a response in regards to battery bank testing and maintenance for DC supply in a Substation, switch yard. Many years my company has done impedance and ripple current testing annually and a discharge testing about every five years. When completing impedance testing and verifying voltage reads from every cell within that bank, if the cells are out of range (lowest to highest) 5% of each other we are given the go ahead to do an equalize charge for whatever the manufacturer specify's (48 hours normally). After said charge and a day later, we go back and check individual cell voltages. Most of the time the cells voltages are about the same, but within a month they are back to being + - 1.5% to 2.5% differing in cell voltage, 2.17vdc cell could be as low as 2.11 or high as 2.23 or higher. I am to the point where I think, if we aren't doing discharge testing every year, that turning the AC charger off for a discernible amount of time would really be exercising all the cells equally, in theory, essentially. If we have a bad cell it would be distinguishable when turning the charger back on. I am thinking preventative maintenance but the employer believes otherwise. Just want some feedback on what other people are doing with their battery banks. Thanks in advance

3. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by africanamber View Post
    Hey there, I was hoping to get a response in regards to battery bank testing and maintenance for DC supply in a Substation, switch yard. Many years my company has done impedance and ripple current testing annually and a discharge testing about every five years. When completing impedance testing and verifying voltage reads from every cell within that bank, if the cells are out of range (lowest to highest) 5% of each other we are given the go ahead to do an equalize charge for whatever the manufacturer specify's (48 hours normally). After said charge and a day later, we go back and check individual cell voltages. Most of the time the cells voltages are about the same, but within a month they are back to being + - 1.5% to 2.5% differing in cell voltage, 2.17vdc cell could be as low as 2.11 or high as 2.23 or higher. I am to the point where I think, if we aren't doing discharge testing every year, that turning the AC charger off for a discernible amount of time would really be exercising all the cells equally, in theory, essentially. If we have a bad cell it would be distinguishable when turning the charger back on. I am thinking preventative maintenance but the employer believes otherwise. Just want some feedback on what other people are doing with their battery banks. Thanks in advance
    So a battery discharge test is a destructive test so you don't want to drain the batteries any more that necessary. Have you done a cell impedance test or specific gravity? This would tell you if an individual cell has an issue. Some cells being high would indicate the voltage may not have stabilized. When I worked for a utility, we would turn off the charger and cycle the breakers and then measure voltage. I can't imagine that there would be an issue with turning the charger off, letting it sit for a short time and then measuring the voltage. This would not effect the life of the batteries. I am guessing they are flooded lead acid.

5. Join Date
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by baccuskt View Post
    So a battery discharge test is a destructive test so you don't want to drain the batteries any more that necessary. Have you done a cell impedance test or specific gravity? This would tell you if an individual cell has an issue. Some cells being high would indicate the voltage may not have stabilized. When I worked for a utility, we would turn off the charger and cycle the breakers and then measure voltage. I can't imagine that there would be an issue with turning the charger off, letting it sit for a short time and then measuring the voltage. This would not effect the life of the batteries. I am guessing they are flooded lead acid.
    I just hit this question on a sample test. You can use a hydrometer to measure the density of the electrolyte in ratio to the density of water, right?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cotton View Post
    I just hit this question on a sample test. You can use a hydrometer to measure the density of the electrolyte in ratio to the density of water, right?
    Yes, specific gravity.

Subscribe

Login or register to leave a reply!

Share this thread