Follow Us

What type of switch is required for an incoming service of 3000-4000A?

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2017
    What type of switch is required for an incoming service of 3000-4000A?

I guessed (incorrectly) that the answer was a "metal enclosed isolation switch," and my rationale was mostly centered around the isolation aspect. Does anyone know of any sources I can read that can help clarify this? I'm guessing the correct answer was "bolted pressure switch" but I'm not sure why that's any more correct than the answer I gave, although I figure it's got something to do with the high current associated with the incoming service.

Thanks!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleGreg View Post
    I guessed (incorrectly) that the answer was a "metal enclosed isolation switch," and my rationale was mostly centered around the isolation aspect. Does anyone know of any sources I can read that can help clarify this? I'm guessing the correct answer was "bolted pressure switch" but I'm not sure why that's any more correct than the answer I gave, although I figure it's got something to do with the high current associated with the incoming service.

Thanks!
    Metal Enclosed Interrupter Switch. That's what I've seen at facilities.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleGreg View Post

Thanks!
    They are somewhat different in construction. Bolted one sort of acts like a bus and gives better reliability in a long run. That's why it's used for higher ratings

7. Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by akumar View Post
    Metal Enclosed Interrupter Switch. That's what I've seen at facilities.
    I forgot to add: In Medium Voltage service equipment, these are Metal-Enclosed Interrupter.

3000 - 4000 Amps has to be Low Voltage. So - Bolted Pressure Switch is the choice.

NICET Level I (ID: 150100)
    NICET Level 1
    The answer would definitely be bolted pressure switch as its one of the few switches that can handle a high ampacity and be built to withstand a 200kAIC fault current.

Subscribe

Login or register to leave a reply!

Share this thread