Follow Us

Confusing question on NETA 2 practice test

1. Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Confusing question on NETA 2 practice test

Hey all,

I was taking the NETA 2 practice test when I encountered a question with what appeared to have two right answers. The question simply said "47" in reference to the IEEE device number, and the four answers were:

Distance relay
    Directional relay
    Phase balance relay
    Phase sequence relay
    Power factor relay

The correct answer, according to the IEEE device list I had printed off and sitting right next to me, is both phase balance and phase sequence. This was confirmed by the test itself a few questions later, with the question "Which of the following is the ANSI/IEEE device number for a phase-sequence or phase-balance relay?"

I got the first question wrong by answering phase sequence (I think) but I got the second question right by answering "47." So my question is, was the first question somehow only one of the two options and I just guessed incorrectly? I'm not sure how that's possible but I wanted to be sure. Here is the device number list I was using as a reference. Is it, and the second question, wrong? http://www.ece.uidaho.edu/ee/power/E...ures/L3/L3.pdf

3. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleGreg View Post
    Hey all,

I was taking the NETA 2 practice test when I encountered a question with what appeared to have two right answers. The question simply said "47" in reference to the IEEE device number, and the four answers were:

Distance relay
    Directional relay
    Phase balance relay
    Phase sequence relay
    Power factor relay

The correct answer, according to the IEEE device list I had printed off and sitting right next to me, is both phase balance and phase sequence. This was confirmed by the test itself a few questions later, with the question "Which of the following is the ANSI/IEEE device number for a phase-sequence or phase-balance relay?"

I got the first question wrong by answering phase sequence (I think) but I got the second question right by answering "47." So my question is, was the first question somehow only one of the two options and I just guessed incorrectly? I'm not sure how that's possible but I wanted to be sure. Here is the device number list I was using as a reference. Is it, and the second question, wrong? http://www.ece.uidaho.edu/ee/power/E...ures/L3/L3.pdf

ANSI 47 - Negative sequence over-voltage protection against phase unbalance resulting from phase inversion, unbalanced supply or distant fault, detected by the measurement of negative sequence voltage. Or, Protection against phase unbalance resulting from phase inversion, unbalanced supply or distant fault, detected by the measurement of negative sequence voltage

This relay operates on the negative sequence voltage caused by voltage imbalance, reverse rotation, or combinations due to faults. In my experience, phase sequence is more common than phase balance as a descriptor as it measures/operates on negative sequence voltage caused by imbalance.

I would have answered Phase Sequence Relay.

Subscribe

Share this thread