Follow Us

When you don't even need an IR camera to find the hot spot...

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    When you don't even need an IR camera to find the hot spot...

Found this little gem while doing a infrared scan this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ir-requires-no-camera.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	100

The moment we started removing the panel cover it was obvious there was some heat inside. I noticed the glowing breaker before I even put my IR camera on it and managed to snap a pretty decent cellphone shot (the IR camera takes cruddy visible images).

After putting the IR camera on the panel I measured a max. temp of 313.7C! We turned the breaker off and tried to get a turn on the line side screw with no success, it was obviously welded tight. The customer decided to abandon the breaker in place and moved the wire to a spare...

3. rofo42 is offline Seasoned Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    Found this little gem while doing a infrared scan this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ir-requires-no-camera.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	100

The moment we started removing the panel cover it was obvious there was some heat inside. I noticed the glowing breaker before I even put my IR camera on it and managed to snap a pretty decent cellphone shot (the IR camera takes cruddy visible images).

After putting the IR camera on the panel I measured a max. temp of 313.7C! We turned the breaker off and tried to get a turn on the line side screw with no success, it was obviously welded tight. The customer decided to abandon the breaker in place and moved the wire to a spare...
    Great post. What IR camera was this taken with?

Subscribe

Share this thread