Follow Us

How to wire a rust inhibitor pump to half the zones on a sprinkler system

1. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    How to wire a rust inhibitor pump to half the zones on a sprinkler system

Hi guys.

I have a pump that dispenses a rust inhibitor for my sprinkler system due to having well water. I don’t need the pump on for all zones. How do I wire the pump to only turn on for 8 of the 14 zones?

The system uses 24 volt low amp. The current setup is a wire that runs from the sprinkler control box labeled pump, that goes hot when any sprinkler zone goes hot/comes on, to a box with a relay in it that turns the injection pump on.

The solution for the rust inhibitor, is kind of expensive and only needs to be injected when a sprinkler zone is next to my concrete.

I do not want to use 8 individual relays, and I'm not even sure if that would work for fear of feed back to the other wires.

So my thought is, does anyone make a 24 vac multi-input relay/switch that would allow 8 individual input wires that would have 1 output wire that would go to the relay for the injection pump?

Or does anyone else have an idea that might help?

Thanks, Kevin.

3. Join Date
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnova View Post
    Hi guys.

I have a pump that dispenses a rust inhibitor for my sprinkler system due to having well water. I don’t need the pump on for all zones. How do I wire the pump to only turn on for 8 of the 14 zones?

The system uses 24 volt low amp. The current setup is a wire that runs from the sprinkler control box labeled pump, that goes hot when any sprinkler zone goes hot/comes on, to a box with a relay in it that turns the injection pump on.

The solution for the rust inhibitor, is kind of expensive and only needs to be injected when a sprinkler zone is next to my concrete.

I do not want to use 8 individual relays, and I'm not even sure if that would work for fear of feed back to the other wires.

So my thought is, does anyone make a 24 vac multi-input relay/switch that would allow 8 individual input wires that would have 1 output wire that would go to the relay for the injection pump?

Or does anyone else have an idea that might help?

Thanks, Kevin.
    https://youtu.be/UnxuYl-tbpA

Buy a cheap PLC

5. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cotton View Post
    Yep this is definitely the way to go a cheap PLC solves a mess of processing problems

Subscribe

Share this thread