Follow Us

Primary Current Injection Test

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Primary Current Injection Test

Hi guys,
    I need some help. I need to do primary current injection test. I have Vanguard PCI-600 device. Can you help me how can i do test ?

ElectricalTestTech is offline NETA Level IV
    Affiliate Member
    Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by changeabilities View Post
    Hi guys,
    I need some help. I need to do primary current injection test. I have Vanguard PCI-600 device. Can you help me how can i do test ?
    What is it that you need to know? In order for current to flow, you need to provide a path. If there is not a series path of bus or cable, current will not flow.

Are you specifically asking how to use the vanguard set? Or are you asking how to test breakers?

The vanguard set is pretty easy. You have your current terminals (probably 2 large wing nut terminals), a ground terminal, and 2 terminals for a timer stop contact. If you’re testing breakers, they can’t be very large. 1000A May be the max current out of this set and that depends on connections and how much cable is used. A 100A molded case breaker probably has an instantaneous value of 1000A. So testing anything larger may be a long shot.

I personally have 0 experience with this particular test set. But it appears to be what I call a “hat box”. A small portable current set for simple current injection tests.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricalTestTech View Post
    What is it that you need to know? In order for current to flow, you need to provide a path. If there is not a series path of bus or cable, current will not flow.

Are you specifically asking how to use the vanguard set? Or are you asking how to test breakers?

The vanguard set is pretty easy. You have your current terminals (probably 2 large wing nut terminals), a ground terminal, and 2 terminals for a timer stop contact. If you’re testing breakers, they can’t be very large. 1000A May be the max current out of this set and that depends on connections and how much cable is used. A 100A molded case breaker probably has an instantaneous value of 1000A. So testing anything larger may be a long shot.

I personally have 0 experience with this particular test set. But it appears to be what I call a “hat box”. A small portable current set for simple current injection tests.
    I need to do "Perform current tests by primary injection with magnitudes such that a minimum of
    1.0 ampere flows in the secondary circuit. Verify correct magnitude of current at each
    device in the circuit." this test. Neta 7.1.B.10.2. I guess i don't need to test breakers. I just test the path of current. am i right ?
    Last edited by changeabilities; August 15, 2018 at 04:56 AM.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    I need to do "Perform current tests by primary injection with magnitudes such that a minimum of
    1.0 ampere flows in the secondary circuit. Verify correct magnitude of current at each
    device in the circuit." this test. Neta 7.1.2.10.2. I guess i don't need to test breakers. I just test the path of current. am i right ?
    Sounds like trip unit metering checks. Im assuming if you had a 1200:5 breaker, for example, you would need to push 240A to get 1A on the secondary, trip unit should display primary current.

Not sure about the "at each device in the circuit" part, this could have many meanings. I would need more info.

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    device in the circuit." this test. Neta 7.1.2.10.2. I guess i don't need to test breakers. I just test the path of current. am i right ?
    I'm not even sure what NETA 7.1.2.10.2 references to.

NETA ATS 7.1.B.10.1 states "Perform current tests by secondary injection with magnitudes such that a minimum current of 1.0 ampere flows in the secondary circuit. Verify correct magnitude of current at each device in the circuit."

NETA ATS 7.1.D.10 states "Current-injection tests shall prove current wiring is in accordance with design specifications."

This is only going to verify any current metering or CT circuits. Primary injecting breakers with metering should satisfy those requirements. So, verifying the metering shows the correct current proves your CT wiring. This should also be accomplished with CT testing using secondary voltage injection. Essentially you need to prove that the switchgear is wired up correctly and that all metering and protection is going to work as intended.

The Vanguard is very simple, so single phase testing each phase and verifying on metering should be satisfactorily for any inspector or QA. Good luck pushing the required current through all that bus.

Subscribe

Share this thread