Follow Us

Practice Test Question: Interfacial Tension

Go to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Practice Test Question: Interfacial Tension

So a practice question reads:

"What would a decreasing value of interfacial tension indicate?"

My answer was contaminants and in the the Paul Gill book it states that "It has been established that an IFT of less than 15 dyn/cm almost invariably shows sludging."

So are "contaminants" and "sludging" different, is the Gill book wrong, or is the test question incorrect/written poorly? What is the correct answer?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by EricGoetz92 View Post
    So a practice question reads:

"What would a decreasing value of interfacial tension indicate?"

My answer was contaminants and in the the Paul Gill book it states that "It has been established that an IFT of less than 15 dyn/cm almost invariably shows sludging."

So are "contaminants" and "sludging" different, is the Gill book wrong, or is the test question incorrect/written poorly? What is the correct answer?
    What were the other answer options presented?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by storm89 View Post
    What were the other answer options presented?
    I wish I had taken a screenshot of them, but I didn't. I think water/moisture might have also been an option. At the time, it seemed pretty cut and dry that it would be contaminants so I didn't screenshot it. What else do you think it could be? I am mainly a P&C guy, so oil samples aren't my strong suit, but even now when I look up more stuff about it, the main focus seems to be sludge build up (I'm pretty sure "sludge" wasn't explicitly an option). Are sludge and contaminants different? If deterioration was an option, would that be a better choice?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by EricGoetz92 View Post
    I wish I had taken a screenshot of them, but I didn't. I think water/moisture might have also been an option. At the time, it seemed pretty cut and dry that it would be contaminants so I didn't screenshot it. What else do you think it could be? I am mainly a P&C guy, so oil samples aren't my strong suit, but even now when I look up more stuff about it, the main focus seems to be sludge build up (I'm pretty sure "sludge" wasn't explicitly an option). Are sludge and contaminants different? If deterioration was an option, would that be a better choice?

I think sludging and contamination refers to separate issues. Without knowing the other choices it's hard to say what the best answer is but I found this link which says "changes in an oilís surface tension to be the earliest sign of contamination, sludge potential and oxidation."

https://www.machinerylubrication.com...e-tension-test

Contamination, sludging, and oxidation could all be correct I think.

Subscribe

Login or register to leave a reply!