Follow Us

No current display when testing EATON IQ 100 panel meter

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    No current display when testing EATON IQ 100 panel meter

When testing the current display on EATON IQ 100 panel meters, voltage must be applied to the phase input under test in order to get a current reading at the meter.

Normally when I don’t have a relay set, I will use a simple Variac/Current Box setup to test panel meter L-N voltage and phase currents individually. I generally like to run through the voltage first and the current second.

I am currently on an acceptance testing job with a bunch of panel meters to test, a mixture of EATON IQ 100 and ElectroIndustries Shark 200. For those who are unfamiliar, the Shark and EATON IQ meters appear nearly identical but apparently the EATON version is a cheap knockoff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eaton-vs-shark-meter.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	251

It just so happens I tested the Shark 200 meters first and had no problems with simply powering up the meter using a cheater cord, pushing current through the metering CT’s, and getting a reading. When I moved on to the EATON IQ 100 using the same methodology, I was unable to get a current reading at the meter. 100A on the test set, 0A on the meter…

This was very confusing for many reasons, so I lifted the current inputs from the meter and verified secondary current at the meter wiring - no problems there. I double cheeked the wiring, meter configuration and user manual for any information I could be missing with no luck.

Now it was time to phone a friend who I knew had a lot of experience with these EATON meters from another project, and he mentioned to me about needing a voltage input present to see current. I applied voltage to the phase input under test and pushed current through the CT and sure enough I got a reading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testing-eaton-iq-example.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	252

This was a simple issue that cost me about 45 min of troubleshooting so I wanted to pass along this knowledge to you guys in case someone else finds themselves in a similar situation.

Subscribe

Share this thread