Follow Us

First energy relay test

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    First energy relay test

Anyone take the entry level substation relay tester assesment test for first energy? Taking it in a week and curious what to expect.

ElectricalTestTech is offline NETA Level IV
    Affiliate Member
    Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by adamr8223 View Post
    Anyone take the entry level substation relay tester assesment test for first energy? Taking it in a week and curious what to expect.
    I have no idea what's on that test but I'm curious. By entry level, have you performed any type of relay testing? If not, then the test couldn't expect you to know how to test relays. It may however ask basic components of relays. Maybe ask if you know the different types of relays (electromechanical, solid state, microprocessor). Possibly see what ansi device numbers you know.

These are basic things I can think of off of the top of my head that may be asked on an intro test.

I have a few videos on my website of electromechanical relays. Feel free to check them out.

Let me know how the test goes. Good luck!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    I have tested some relays but not on a regular basis. Guess I’ll find out what’s up I’m a few days. Ill let you know. Thanks

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricalTestTech View Post
    I have no idea what's on that test but I'm curious. By entry level, have you performed any type of relay testing? If not, then the test couldn't expect you to know how to test relays. It may however ask basic components of relays. Maybe ask if you know the different types of relays (electromechanical, solid state, microprocessor). Possibly see what ansi device numbers you know.

These are basic things I can think of off of the top of my head that may be asked on an intro test.

I have a few videos on my website of electromechanical relays. Feel free to check them out.

Let me know how the test goes. Good luck!
    I have not taken this test either but would have to agree with ElectricalTestTech. Given that its an entry level assessment test, you will probably want to know the operating theory behind electromechanical relays such as current, voltage, and differential.

You will probably also need to have a strong understanding of electrical drawings, device numbers, and instrument transformers. Basic microprosessor relay communications and test set operation would be good to read up on as well.

Here are a couple books that might be worth skimming through:

Art and Science of Protective Relaying - http://www.gegridsolutions.com/multi...sci/artsci.pdf

Operation and Maintenance of Protective Relays and Associated Circuits - https://www.usbr.gov/power/data/fist...er%202006).pdf

Good luck, I'm also curious to know how it goes!

ElectricalTestTech is offline NETA Level IV
    Affiliate Member
    Pro Subscriber
    I am curious as to how the test went. Please share!!

11. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricalTestTech View Post
    I am curious as to how the test went. Please share!!
    It wasnt too bad but was far from "entry level" like i was told. It was alot related to old type electo-mech relays, safety, theory, and general substation knowledge. All the material was trade related which is more than i can say for the last NETA test i took. Was a 5 part 80 question test. I passed so Ill be learning more about First Energy i guess. Sou ds like they have some pretty decent training, their training center is deff no slouch. It has a pole garden, 3 practice substations, and a few line trucks. Im gonna give it a whirl the pay is good, good benefits, and and ill be home 95% of the time.

13. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    It wasnt too bad but was far from "entry level" like i was told. It was alot related to old type electo-mech relays, safety, theory, and general substation knowledge. All the material was trade related which is more than i can say for the last NETA test i took. Was a 5 part 80 question test. I passed so Ill be learning more about First Energy i guess. Sou ds like they have some pretty decent training, their training center is deff no slouch. It has a pole garden, 3 practice substations, and a few line trucks. Im gonna give it a whirl the pay is good, good benefits, and and ill be home 95% of the time.
    Thank you for sharing this info.

Subscribe

Share this thread