Follow Us

Generic Trip Settings for Circuit Breakers?

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Generic Trip Settings for Circuit Breakers?

How many times have you guys been testing breakers and when you ask for a study you get the "just use generic settings" treatment?

What do you consider to be generic settings? Usually I will do:

LT @ 1x with a delay anywhere from 10-20
    ST @ 4x and 0.3 out
    INST @ 8x
    GF @ 0.25x and 0.3 out

I find these setting work just fine for general applications but setting everything at minimum reduces liability, so thats an option as well.

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    How many times have you guys been testing breakers and when you ask for a study you get the "just use generic settings" treatment?

What do you consider to be generic settings? Usually I will do:

LT @ 1x with a delay anywhere from 10-20
    ST @ 4x and 0.3 out
    INST @ 8x
    GF @ 0.25x and 0.3 out

I find these setting work just fine for general applications but setting everything at minimum reduces liability, so thats an option as well.
    I typically just leave the settings as found, which typically means the breaker is set to minimum. I agree with your settings overall, but the only change I would make would be setting ST delay to 0.2 I2T IN.

I had one customer just tell me to leave the settings as found, which had multiple GE Entelliguard 800A breakers set with LT at 0.5. I informed the customer that he would need a coordination study, and that the settings were set to low for normal operation, and was told it was fine. The customer was the EC, and the plant was energizing the following Monday. I had to return that Monday afternoon to return the spare equipment that was repaired. The End user plant operators were not happy cause they kept tripping offline and I had to explain why, and give them intermediate settings. This actually led to their engineer contacting my company for a coordination study.

Subscribe

Share this thread