Follow Us

Training program guidelines

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Training program guidelines

I am wondering what kinds of training programs different companies use for introducing new subjects to technicians. Around here it has been mostly learn as you go with a little introduction from a more experienced guy up front.
    My goal is to put together a comprehensive standard program using an outline format based on and referencing related standards for each type of equipment we encounter. A technician would review this outline with the trainee in front of the equipment with plenty of hands on practice. Obviously this is a BIG project and I would appreciate any feedback about this idea or suggestions of others that work well for you.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    The Relay Testing Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    I am wondering what kinds of training programs different companies use for introducing new subjects to technicians. Around here it has been mostly learn as you go with a little introduction from a more experienced guy up front.
    My goal is to put together a comprehensive standard program using an outline format based on and referencing related standards for each type of equipment we encounter. A technician would review this outline with the trainee in front of the equipment with plenty of hands on practice. Obviously this is a BIG project and I would appreciate any feedback about this idea or suggestions of others that work well for you.
    Have a look at www.relaytraining.com. Chris Werstuik is awesome. His handbooks and online discussions are great.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    When I was coming up through the trade it was all hands on, learn as you go from the senior guys. It sounds like you have a great idea, I would be more than happy to provide some input for what you have so far.

There is a ton of good information found in test equipment manuals, IEEE standards, and Paul Gill's Book. Megger, AEMC, and Doble also have great literature on testing theory, this might be a good place to start.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    When I was coming up through the trade it was all hands on, learn as you go from the senior guys. It sounds like you have a great idea, I would be more than happy to provide some input for what you have so far.

There is a ton of good information found in test equipment manuals, IEEE standards, and Paul Gill's Book. Megger, AEMC, and Doble also have great literature on testing theory, this might be a good place to start.
    Thanks for the info. I'll be checking out those references as I go. I've started with the NETA level 2 study guide outline, safety category. I put together an outline for a group discussion of NFPA 70E article 120 which covered 2 sections ( B & C) of the study guide. The discussion went well, most of the guys were already familiar with the basics, and we had some procedural questions that got several guys involved.

9. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jblunt92482 View Post
    Have a look at www.relaytraining.com. Chris Werstuik is awesome. His handbooks and online discussions are great.
    I can vouch for that. I've been lucky enough to get into one of his classes where he came to our company to train us up on various relays (ie., Differential, Distance) and his training was great. I also bought his online training program as part of my 48 CTD's that I needed and that was also very informative and well put-together. I also happen to have his book in the back of my truck for those "in a pinch" moments. Wow, this is starting to sound like an endorsement. I swear I'm not paid by him. He's a great teacher.

Subscribe

Share this thread