Follow Us

Ground fault trips at half of setting

Jump to latest post
    SUBMARINES ONCE!!
    Ground fault trips at half of setting

I have a ground fault test that keeps tripping at half of the setting value. The system has one main circuit breaker, with one CT around the neutral. No trip test comes out fine (current in line side of CB, out of load side, into load side of neutral, through CT, and out of line side of CT). Trip test reversing though CT yields have of the setting value (about 217A vice 400A).

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    What is the CT ratio and what is the relay set to? My first thought is polarity but this cant be the case if no trip came out fine. What was neutral to ground megger readings?

Be Different and Make the Difference
    Quote Originally Posted by joenavymctest View Post
    I have a ground fault test that keeps tripping at half of the setting value. The system has one main circuit breaker, with one CT around the neutral. No trip test comes out fine (current in line side of CB, out of load side, into load side of neutral, through CT, and out of line side of CT). Trip test reversing though CT yields have of the setting value (about 217A vice 400A).
    It would be easy to analyse if you could provide a simple sketch of what exactly the connection is..? and are you performing a test using secondary injection kit.?

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Any verdict on this one? It's been about a week since OP. I agree a sketch would make it easier to analyze the situation.

I use to be disgusted, now I'm just amused!
    Ground or Neutral ?

Quote Originally Posted by joenavymctest View Post
    You stated this is a ground fault test and it sounds like it is connected as a neutral test. Are these settings the same?

11. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Relay1 View Post
    You stated this is a ground fault test and it sounds like it is connected as a neutral test. Are these settings the same?
    Do you have multiple grounds? (1 in CT ckt, 1 in test set?)

Kalbi_Rob is offline Experienced Member Pro Subscriber
    Sounds like the test went according to expected. With the test set set up on the line side of the breaker and Neutral CT and jumper on Load side of both the breaker and Neutral CT he experienced a No Trip on Ground Fault as expected.
    Putting the test set on the line side of the breaker and load side of the Neutral CT, with a jumper from the load side of the breaker to the line side of the breaker will cause a trip of the breaker at half the value of the ground fault setting.
    This is because you have now placed 2 CT's in series, thus doubling the measured current making the breaker think it sees double the amount of current. Where the No Trip current caused the CT's to cancel the current seen by the breaker making it think no ground current is present.

Subscribe

Share this thread