Follow Us

Siemens 7UM62 Siprotec Relay - Generator Protection

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2017

Gents,

5+ year relay vet here but as you all know still learning. Started a new job to get away from the utility sector and learn some new stuff and boy did I land in the middle of it. Ive been tasked with testing a generator protection relay and its my first.

I would love to hear from someone familiar with siemens relays.

Louie

Be Different and Make the Difference

Let me know in which particular protection function u need support since generator protection is a package of all other protection functions... I would suggest based on my experience.

Vivek ..

ElectricalTestTech is offline NETA Level IV
    Affiliate Member
    Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by balugalou View Post
    Gents,

5+ year relay vet here but as you all know still learning. Started a new job to get away from the utility sector and learn some new stuff and boy did I land in the middle of it. Ive been tasked with testing a generator protection relay and its my first.

I would love to hear from someone familiar with siemens relays.

Louie
    Is this a brand new relay that you have to program and set up as well as test all functions? As VIVIk stated a generator protection relay has a bunch of functions. It is up to the engineer to decide which ones will be active. Please elaborate more when you know a little more about the relay you’re dealing with. As far as I know Siprotec Is a bastardized relay. It is not exactly user-friendly. Have you dealt with any of the feeder relays 7SJ61 or variants? The biggest difference between relays are the software to navigate the relay. Testing the functions is the same between all relays

Be Different and Make the Difference
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricalTestTech View Post
    Is this a brand new relay that you have to program and set up as well as test all functions? As VIVIk stated a generator protection relay has a bunch of functions. It is up to the engineer to decide which ones will be active. Please elaborate more when you know a little more about the relay you’re dealing with. As far as I know Siprotec Is a bastardized relay. It is not exactly user-friendly. Have you dealt with any of the feeder relays 7SJ61 or variants? The biggest difference between relays are the software to navigate the relay. Testing the functions is the same between all relays
    7UM62 is a Siprotec 4 IED made by Siemens, off course yes it does require establishing connection with the IED, and reading the data from IED and configuring which ever protection function is required, drawing logic using function blocks (called CFC in Siprotec devices) is hardly done. Only in special cases we have to do, otherwise the setting tab provided the software (called DIGSI) is way enough to configure it.

However the BI/BO are configured in a tool called "Signal matrix" which is present in the same DIGSI software, its like filling an excel worksheet.

Menu and sub-menu of the functions are arranged in a "Tree-cell format", which is clearly explained in the manual and it is easy too

You need,
    1. DIGSI 4.91 (4.xx depends on the firmware version of the IED at site)

2. Device driver for 7UM62 - can be found here ---> (https://www.downloads.siemens.com/do...id1=DLA06_5788)

3. RS232 Cross-Over serial communication cable.

usefull links:

You can get the manual form here --->(https://www.downloads.siemens.com/do...id1=DLA06_4782)

You can get access to all Siprotec devices regarding manual, device drivers, firmware updates, engineering info about the IED, from here --->(http://w3.siemens.com/smartgrid/glob.../overview.aspx)

Hope this is usefull..

vivek....

Subscribe

Share this thread