Follow Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What's wrong with this picture?

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricalTestTech View Post
    Are you trying to get an air sample or an oil sample ksvivik?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S.G of ins oils.PNG 
Views:	51 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	266
    Depends on the type of insulating fluid, as we know, almost all samples are performed from the bottom because appart from "askarel" all other insulating fluids have a specific gravity lower than 1 (wlower than wter's SG) which will let the waer sit at the bottom but in older transformers with "Askarel" as Insulating fluid (with SG, of 1.3 - 1.5) the water is lighter which is why sample port is up top.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnjob123 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S.G of ins oils.PNG 
Views:	51 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	266
    Depends on the type of insulating fluid, as we know, almost all samples are performed from the bottom because appart from "askarel" all other insulating fluids have a specific gravity lower than 1 (wlower than wter's SG) which will let the waer sit at the bottom but in older transformers with "Askarel" as Insulating fluid (with SG, of 1.3 - 1.5) the water is lighter which is why sample port is up top.
    This is a mineral oil transformer, plus the valve is above the liquid level (note the air plug).

5. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    This is a mineral oil transformer, plus the valve is above the liquid level (note the air plug).
    I see that, maybe I wasn't clear in my resonse. Let me take another stabb at this.

Looking at the attached picture and the relation of Specific Gravity to transformer sample port, my theory is that this Xfmr could've been manufactured using "Askarel" as insulating fluid (which will explain the sample port on top) till regulations changed and started discarding of these because its carcinogenic.

Beyond that, I will hate to say the engineers/manufacturers messed up lol

I push buttons.
    I see that, maybe I wasn't clear in my resonse. Let me take another stabb at this.

Looking at the attached picture and the relation of Specific Gravity to transformer sample port, my theory is that this Xfmr could've been manufactured using "Askarel" as insulating fluid (which will explain the sample port on top) till regulations changed and started discarding of these because its carcinogenic.

Beyond that, I will hate to say the engineers/manufacturers messed up lol
    This was a brand new mineral oil transformer at the time of OP. Even if your theroy was correct, what good does a sample valve do when its above the liquid level? Are you supposed to stick a hose in there and suck it out with a syringe like a DGA?

9. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    This was a brand new mineral oil transformer at the time of OP. Even if your theroy was correct, what good does a sample valve do when its above the liquid level? Are you supposed to stick a hose in there and suck it out with a syringe like a DGA?
    I have to say, we need the rest of the picture lol because there probably is one(sample valve) on the right hand side but our good friend who took this just thought it was funny to crop it out (which by the way was )

Otherwise, someone messed up pretty bad #ouch

I push buttons.
    I have to say, we need the rest of the picture lol because there probably is one(sample valve) on the right hand side but our good friend who took this just thought it was funny to crop it out (which by the way was )

Otherwise, someone messed up pretty bad #ouch
    I took the original picture with a phone and can assure you there was no other sample valve. Someone messed up.

13. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    I took the original picture with a phone and can assure you there was no other sample valve. Someone messed up.
    I agree

Subscribe

Share this thread