Follow Us

IR scanning UPS modules

Jump to latest post
  1. ccgalletta1 is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    IR scanning UPS modules

Any advice on what to look for while scanning the different components of a UPS module.

MGE UPS MOD

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by ccgalletta1 View Post
    Any advice on what to look for while scanning the different components of a UPS module.

MGE UPS MOD
    UPS systems can be difficult to IR scan. It's hard to give specific advice without actually seeing the equipment but here are some pointers that come to mind:

First and foremost, each component you scan should have at least 40% load. Therefore, to properly scan all components you will need to scan the UPS in normal condition, bypassed condition, and on batteries. This requires switching and some customers won't allow it depending on how critical the load is.

Input/output Breakers - Compare line and load connections to each adjacent phase and check for any hot spots on the case that could indicate a high resistance contact.

Control Wires - Check for hot spots which would indicate a loose connection. Check solid state components should be checked but don't be surprised to find that processors and resistors naturally run really hot.

Static Bypass, Rectifier and Inverter - These systems can be difficult to scan because a lot of times they are simply inaccessible. Static bypass will need to be enabled to scan the static switch. Compare any transformer connections and windings to each other. Check capacitor banks and diodes for loose connections.

Battery System - The ups batteries will have to be under load in order to check them but this is very important because you can easily detect a failing battery or loose connection. You will essentially also be performing a battery run-down test during this time, which will let you know how long the batteries can last under load.

It's also just as important to do a really good visual inspection to look for bulging capacitors or discoloration on connections or components. If load is not moving through the component you are scanning, the camera won't catch it. Be sure to use a bright flashlight when doing the inspection.

5. MDTannen is offline Junior Member

A UPS system is pretty intimidating. The first few I did on my own I kept a lookout for anomalies between similar components. That is the infrared comfort zone. Also had the benefit of a manufacturer rep there, a few times, and was not afraid or too proud to ask questions about anything.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by MDTannen View Post
    Great Reply!

A UPS system is pretty intimidating. The first few I did on my own I kept a lookout for anomalies between similar components. That is the infrared comfort zone. Also had the benefit of a manufacturer rep there, a few times, and was not afraid or too proud to ask questions about anything.
    Thanks, MD. I also just remembered...Cooling fans! Point your IR camera at the cooling fans and compare them to each other to determine if any are overheating. A good cooling system is key to a healthy UPS.

Subscribe

Share this thread

Follow us

Explore TestGuy

NETA Certification Training

NICET Electrical Power Testing

Help and Support

You are viewing the archives. Enjoy new features and join the conversation at wiki.testguy.net