Follow Us

Megger Insulation Tester "br.d" Error Code

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Megger Insulation Tester "br.d" Error Code

Does anyone know what "br.d" means on the megger MIT 515? Got this error code today measuring a open vacuum bottle line to load. After pressing the TEST button the instrument showed the error right away. I have never seen this code before.

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Megger error codes

Here are some common on-screen warning codes for Megger:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	megger-brd-error.jpg 
Views:	4360 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	178

br.d = Breakdown detection

If insulation breakdown is detected, the unit aborts the test and flashes “brd” and the final test result alternately in the main digital display. This display is disabled when in burn mode as the unit will continue the test without aborting. The instrument detects breakdown in terms of a rapid drop in test voltage commensurate with that caused by an arc across or though the insulation under test.

In breakdown mode the test will automatically terminate on detection of a breakdown to prevent damage to the insulation. Burn mode disables the normal breakdown detection and test voltage continues after breakdown of the insulation. This enables the location of the failure to be seen and detected acoustically but it is a destructive test

Name:	megger-excessive-noise.jpg 
Views:	4334 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	179

nSE = Extremely High Noise

Should an extremely high level of noise be present, particularly at the start of a test, the instrument will indicate nSE (Noise). The instrument will require switching off and on again to reset. In certain rare circumstances breakdown of the circuit under test may interfere with the sensitive current measuring circuit. In this event the unit stops and also displays nSE. The instrument will again require switching off and on again to reset.

Name:	megger-nosie-detected.jpg 
Views:	4323 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	180

(Waveform) = Noise Detected

A level of noise exceeding the instruments specified capability will be indicated by an alternating sine wave on the display. The test continues while displaying the noise. If the noise drops back down the normal display is resumed. The black and grey waveforms are displayed alternately while the noise is present. When the noise is removed the wave form is replaced by the correct reading.

Source comes from a Megger MIT 1020 manual but I would imagine they would be the same for MIT 515. Here is the link http://www.pmc-rentals.com/wp-conten...User-Guide.pdf

5. Join Date
    Dec 2021
    About br.d error

Quote Originally Posted by iwanttotest View Post
    Does anyone know what "br.d" means on the megger MIT 515? Got this error code today measuring a open vacuum bottle line to load. After pressing the TEST button the instrument showed the error right away. I have never seen this code before.
    Pl. Check high voltage realy in high voltage section. Un plug two red clip. Sparking is in realy gives this massage.
    Thanks.

7. Join Date
    May 2017
    Not trying to be a wise a$$.

Insure the breaker is really open.
    Check across the bottle with something else.
    May be a bad bottle.

The megger seems to think so.

9. tmx1911 is offline Junior Member Pro Subscriber
    I have had an issue with the Megger Instruments going into "BrD" breakdown mode with transformers. I assume this is because of capacitance.

To work around this I have switched the unit from it's default mode to "BURN" mode which disables the breakdown function.

Subscribe

Share this thread