×
Follow Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

CCVT/CVT Testing

 Jump to latest post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    #1
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2
    Reputation

    CCVT/CVT Testing

    Can any of you tell me what test set or method you are using for testing turns ratio on CCVTs? Are you guys applying a high voltage to the high voltage terminal, and measuring the secondary, or are you using a test set? My understanding is a standard TTR test set will record too high of an error due to the voltage decay in the capacitor stack. Vanguard's CTV-765 seems like a simple and fast test set. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

  2. #2
  3. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    37
    Reputation
    Most simple method I think is using a power factor test set as a power supply to the HV terminal and measure the secondary voltage.

  4. #3
  5. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    OH/MI
    Posts
    31
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjayo View Post
    Most simple method I think is using a power factor test set as a power supply to the HV terminal and measure the secondary voltage.
    totally agree with Sanjayo, just did some a few months back, 80kv-120v I believe. we put 10kv on the high side with our omicron cpc100/td1 and measured 15v on the low side

  6. #4
  7. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    14
    Reputation
    Could you use an AC hipot if you don't have a power factor set?

  8. #5
  9. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    OH/MI
    Posts
    31
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by randywright View Post
    Could you use an AC hipot if you don't have a power factor set?
    Never tried that... not sure honestly. I don't see why not.

  10. #6
  11. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    14
    Reputation
    Hipots usually trip out on very low levels of current.

    Quote Originally Posted by lester mcmanaway View Post
    Never tried that... not sure honestly. I don't see why not.

  12. #7
  13. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    OH/MI
    Posts
    31
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by randywright View Post
    Hipots usually trip out on very low levels of current.
    Very true. Yep, not likely you would be able to use a hipot. Good call. Depending on the ratio, I've used just a small power source.

  14. #8
  15. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1
    Reputation

    CCVT Ratio Test

    I personally use an M4100 to apply 10kV to the top and measuring at the bottom with a voltmeter. However, this will either be at 57 or 63 Hz, which I've recently been concerned about effecting the accuracy.

  16. #9
  17. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2
    Reputation

    DOBLE M4000

    Quote Originally Posted by scottxclark View Post
    Can any of you tell me what test set or method you are using for testing turns ratio on CCVTs? Are you guys applying a high voltage to the high voltage terminal, and measuring the secondary, or are you using a test set? My understanding is a standard TTR test set will record too high of an error due to the voltage decay in the capacitor stack. Vanguard's CTV-765 seems like a simple and fast test set. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
    We use a DOBLE M4000 power factor test set

  18. #10
  19. wooddy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by trn8ochaser View Post
    I personally use an M4100 to apply 10kV to the top and measuring at the bottom with a voltmeter. However, this will either be at 57 or 63 Hz, which I've recently been concerned about effecting the accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe

Login or register to leave a reply!


Share this thread

Tags for this Thread



Related Content


Follow us


Explore TestGuy


NETA Certification Training


NICET Electrical Power Testing


Help and Support