Follow Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What test set or method you are using for testing turns ratio on CCVTs?

Jump to latest post
  1. wooddy is offline Junior Member
    ccvt testing

Quote Originally Posted by NWILLJR1020 View Post
    We use a DOBLE M4000 power factor test set
    i use this method as well, to deal with the 57 to 63hz question, go to instument settings and change from automatic ramp up to manual ramp up, then use the arrow keys to bring the ccvt to 10kv, read voltage on the secondary, this will give u the ratio as well as be a stable setting at 60hz

3. wooddy is offline Junior Member
    go into the insturment settings of the m4100 and change the ramp up from automatic to manual, then use the page up and page down keys to raise the voltage to 10kv on the top terminal of ccvt, read the voltage on the secondary, this will eliminate the machine from ranging from 57 to 63hz but rather give you stable readings at 60hz,

5. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjayo View Post
    Most simple method I think is using a power factor test set as a power supply to the HV terminal and measure the secondary voltage.
    I use the power factor test set. Read the ratio off the secondaries.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wooddy View Post
    go into the insturment settings of the m4100 and change the ramp up from automatic to manual, then use the page up and page down keys to raise the voltage to 10kv on the top terminal of ccvt, read the voltage on the secondary, this will eliminate the machine from ranging from 57 to 63hz but rather give you stable readings at 60hz,
    Very helpful. Thank you for the info.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by scottxclark View Post
    Can any of you tell me what test set or method you are using for testing turns ratio on CCVTs? Are you guys applying a high voltage to the high voltage terminal, and measuring the secondary, or are you using a test set? My understanding is a standard TTR test set will record too high of an error due to the voltage decay in the capacitor stack. Vanguard's CTV-765 seems like a simple and fast test set. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
    I believe Omicron makes a special test set for this. I have used their CPC-600 (not sure I remember correct number) to test these also. You could also probably use a variac although it depends on the ratio if you can get a high enough voltage to measure secondary.

11. Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipperk View Post
    I use the power factor test set. Read the ratio off the secondaries.
    same here

13. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Use cpc100

Quote Originally Posted by scottxclark View Post
    Can any of you tell me what test set or method you are using for testing turns ratio on CCVTs? Are you guys applying a high voltage to the high voltage terminal, and measuring the secondary, or are you using a test set? My understanding is a standard TTR test set will record too high of an error due to the voltage decay in the capacitor stack. Vanguard's CTV-765 seems like a simple and fast test set. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
    Use CPC100

15. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by trn8ochaser View Post
    I personally use an M4100 to apply 10kV to the top and measuring at the bottom with a voltmeter. However, this will either be at 57 or 63 Hz, which I've recently been concerned about effecting the accuracy.
    Great that you are performing a voltage ratio tests as a TTR will not provide the results.

Have never seen where line frequency modulation mode will affect the voltage. You can change the test mode to line sync reversal and the frequency will remain at 60 hz.

The line frequency modulation test mode was a great idea to eliminate electro-static interference from the overhead power lines in a sub.

Subscribe

Share this thread