Follow Us

Safety is ultimately our responsibility in the field

Jump to latest post
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Safety is ultimately our responsibility in the field

Today amongst many things, I was directed to connect a power quality monitor to a main circuit breaker that was fed by three UPS systems. I noticed the arc flash sticker and it had incident energy of 70 Cal. I informed the customer that no amount of PPE on earth could protect me from the potential arc-flash and I could not do the work. We found a safer location upstream with incident energy of 30 cal and were able to collect the exact same data.

5 years ago, I would have just suited up and connected the meter at the original location. It's important to realize that safety is ultimately our responsibility in the field. Many times a customer's understanding of their own equipment is far less than our own as test technicians - that's why we are there in the first place after all. I could say the same about the management staff at my own shop.

I can honestly say that regular safety meetings have been helping me stay more conscious of my safety. They are responsible for a subconscious shift in my thinking and now I have much more confidence when I walk on to a job site to perform a dangerous task. I have no problem telling someone that a particular task is unsafe and we need to find a safer way.

Let's make sure we all go home at the end of the day.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Even though we all nag at the idea of another safety meeting. They are useful in reminding us on how dangerous our jobs are. Its good to take the extra time in your day to ensure your being safe, always

I push buttons.
    NETA Level III Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by codycody103 View Post
    Even though we all nag at the idea of another safety meeting. They are useful in reminding us on how dangerous our jobs are. Its good to take the extra time in your day to ensure your being safe, always
    This is true. Our company does monthly safety meetings, which can be a drag. However, it really hits home when we share our individual experiences and things we've seen. Some guys have experienced some ugly stuff, and those stories will stick with you for a couple weeks.

ElectricalTestTech is offline NETA Level IV
    Affiliate Member
    Pro Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGen View Post
    This is true. Our company does monthly safety meetings, which can be a drag. However, it really hits home when we share our individual experiences and things we've seen. Some guys have experienced some ugly stuff, and those stories will stick with you for a couple weeks.
    Some of those experiences last a lifetime. Sometimes there isn't a way to "unsee" some type of terrible accident. On any type of task, I typically think about what I will be doing. I play the steps out in my head. And then I talk about it with other guys working with me. Most cases I am by myself. But running through the steps in your head, makes you a little more focused than running blind.

Be safe out there

9. Join Date
    Jun 2016
    That's a good catch and a good resolve. A lot of the users don't really understand what those warnings mean and it really does put us in a bad spot when we stop and tell them we can't do the job. I agree with everyone on this thread safety meeting can feel like they are really dragging, especially when it is some office bum telling our business, but I have always found it best when they let us share stories of what we have seen and experienced.

Subscribe

Share this thread